السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Zaatar Manakish Recipe – Manakeesh Zaatar recipe. Another version of the Arabic bread made with the Arabic spice known as Zaatar which is pretty famous with all the Arabs of every region.
If you have ever been to the Gulf, you would have surely noticed the zaatar manakish on the aisles of any bakery. You might have even tasted the different variations of the Manakish and would have believed that it must be pretty difficult to make them. But that is far from the truth. The Manakeesh recipes are very, very simple to make. They come in all variations, like the Cheese, spicy, chicken, mutton, the options are just so limitless. One such variation is the Zaatar Manakish recipe. You will find different variations of the spice from different regions. Zaatar is a spice made with different spices like the sesame seeds, sumac, dried herbs among other things. I find different labels on the Zaatar stating that it is a Palestinian Zaatar or the Lebanon Zaatar or other regional name. I really no clue what is the difference and haven’t tried to find out also as I simply love it from where ever it is. And the Zaatar Manakish recipe is just perfect for any type of meal. Make it for breakfast or just as a snack or even for dinner, it is a perfect any time dish.
It is a great privilege to get to explore various cuisines and cultures staying in a truly cosmopolitan city. I wouldn’t even have known what was Zaatar, if not for Dubai. I can’t stop raving about the health benefits of this spice, and the awesome flavor and aroma is just too good to be true. The making of the Zaatar Manakish recipe is pretty much same like the Cheese Manakish recipe, it is just that instead of the cheese, we mix the zaatar here. I even have a cheese and zaatar recipe together, lined up for you.
Let’s get started with the Zaatar Manakish Recipe-Manakeesh Zaatar recipe
Zaatar Manakish Recipe-Manakeesh Zaatar recipe
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour / maida
- 1 packet / 11 gms instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk lukewarm
- 1/3 cup + 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 tbsp zaatar
- Add yeast, sugar, salt and yeast to the milk.
- Add this milk and the beaten egg to the all purpose flour and mix.
- Now add in the 1/3 cup olive oil and knead for about couple of minutes. Cover with a damp muslin cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, make 4 dough balls and roll into circles with the help of a rolling pin while dusting with flour.
- Mix 4 tbsp of olive oil with the zaatar spice. (You can add more zaatar and olive oil if you like the flavor to come out very strongly)
- Spread 1 tbsp of zaatar on top of each rolled our dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180 C for about 15 - 20 minutes. Serve hot
For more Arabic / Middle Eastern recipe, try
Kunafa Recipe-Knafeh Recipe with Kataifi
Traditional One Pot Harees Recipe
Farrouj Meshwi Recipe-Arabic Garlic Chicken recipe
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post
The manakish looks so good… always love to pick one up for those hunger pangs…