Mutton Handi recipe
A deliciously succulent mutton handi recipe made in the most traditional way
Servings 3 people
- 500 gms mutton cleaned (learn how to remove raw smell from mutton)
- 4 tbsp oil or ghee
- 2 onion finely chopped
- whole garam masala 1 bay leaf, 1 inch stick cinnamon, 2 cardamon, 2 cloves, 1 teaspoon shahi jeera, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chili
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 4 tomato
- coriander leaves for garnishing
Preparing Spiced Tomato Puree
Add tomatoes and green chili and blend into a paste.
Add in the chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and garam masala powder. Mix well and set aside this spice tomato paste
Making mutton handi recipe.
Heat oil in a handi and add the whole spices.
Add onions and fry till translucent.
Next, add in the ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell vanished from it.
Throw in the mutton and saute till water dries up
Add coriander powder and cook covered on low heat till mutton browns.
Mix in the tomato paste and again cook on low heat till mutton is tender and thoroughly cooked.
Finally, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot
Estimated nutritional values are as below:
- Whenever possible, use clay pot for authentic taste for this recipe.
- You can also use less oil if you prefer that way.
- Always cook on low heat.
- Cooking time will vary according to the quality of your meat. If the meat is tender, it will get cooked faster, if not then it will taste longer. Please adjust accordingly. You can add in water if necessary.
- If you are short on time you can also pressure cook this dish, but it won't taste the same.