Chettinad Egg Curry recipe, how to make chettinad egg curry
Chettinad Egg Curry recipe is another of the gems from the South Indian cuisine. Made with most aromatic spices, this curry will be a hit at any party.
Servings 3 people
- 6 eggs hard boiled (for perfect cooking of egg, see notes below)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 sambar onions (or 2 medium onions) chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves to garnish
To roast and grind
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 green cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 10 whole dry red chili
- 2 sprig of curry leaves
- 1 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut
- 1 tsp oil
Roasting and grinding spices
Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add the coriander seeds, cardamom, cloves, red chili, curry leaves, black pepper, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and coconut
Fry till lightly browned and a nice aroma starts emanating from the spices. Keep aside to cool down and grind it into a paste. Set aside.
Preparing Chettinad egg curry
Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds till they splutter. Add the onions and fry till golden brown.
Throw in the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell vanishes.
Add in the tomatoes and fry till mushy.
Mix in the turmeric powder, salt, green chili, and the ground paste and a cup of water. Cook till it starts boiling. Adjust the consistency of the curry by adding or reducing the amount of water.
Toss in the boiled eggs and cook till oil starts separating.
Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
The following are just estimates and not actuals:
- Cook time doesn't include the boiling time for eggs. You can either boil them ahead of time or boil them as you make the recipe.
- For perfectly boiled eggs, add eggs to water and sprinkle salt on top. Bring this to boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let it rest covered for 20 minutes. You will have perfectly boiled eggs.
- You can also put a slit into the eggs lightly to infuse masala through the eggs. Also, you can cut the egg into half before adding to the masala.