Simple Moong Dal Recipe
Moong Dal Recipe is one of the most commonly and widely used dals in India. Simple and easy to cook, moong dal is rich in protein and a staple food in India.
Servings 2 people
- 1 cup moong dal soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 no. garlic cloves chopped
- 1 no. onion finely sliced
- 1 no. tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 no. green chili finely sliced
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add the garlic and onion and fry until the onions are browned.
Add the turmeric powder, salt, tomato and the soaked moong dal.
Add sufficient water. Add more water if you are making for rice, otherwise just add enough to cook the dal.
Cook on low flame till the tomato is tender. By the time the tomatoes are cooked, your dal will be ready too.
Garnish with coriander leaves and green chili. Serve hot with rice or roti.
- Soak the moong dal for at least 30 minutes - 1 hour prior to cooking.
- You can also cook this in a pressure cooker. Cook for 3 whistles.