Khatti Dal Recipe, Hyderabadi
Khatti Dal recipe, Hyderabadi is a delicious dal made with pulses and spices along with tamarind water. This is a must have every day in some Hyderabadi houses.
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup toor dal yellow split peas
- 1 tomato roughly chopped
- 1 small onion roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked in water or 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
Ingredients for Tempering
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
Soak the dal for at least half an hour
In a pan, add the dal along with tomato, onion, salt, turmeric and salt with 4 cups of water. (or as required).
Bring it to a boil and remove the foam. This prevents the liquid from overflowing during cooking. (You can add a teaspoon of ghee, this further prevents the overflow)
Cook until the dal is done. Mash it well with a wooden masher or hand blender.
Squeeze out the tamarind extract with water and discard the rest of it.
Add the tamarind water to the dal, along with coriander leaves and curry leaves. Bring it to boil.
Heat oil and add the cumin seeds and garlic. Next throw in the red chili powder.
Give it a quick stir and quickly add the prepared dal.
Bring it to a boil and serve hot.
- If you add ghee while boiling the dal, it will prevent from overflowing.
- While using a wooden masher, keep less water in the dal. If you are using hand blender to mash the dal, it will better if you add more water to it.
- You can also use any tempering ingredients that you prefer like the mustard seeds, whole dry red chili, etc.
- If you soak the dal, it doesn't take long for the dal to cook.