Mix Dal Tadka Recipe
Mix Dal tadka recipe is a delicious combination of four dals. This dish is totally a winner with all the nutrients that can be served with both rice and roti.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Soaking Time 2 hours
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1/2 cup chana dal / bengal gram
- 1/4 cup masoor dal / split red lentils
- 1/4 cup toor dal / split pigeon peas
- 1/4 cup moong dal / split green gram
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves / cilantro / hara dhaniya
- 2 tbsp clarified butter / ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 2 - 3 whole dry red chili
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 7 - 8 cloves of garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
Soak the chana dal for 2 hours and rest of the dals for half an hour.
Take a pressure cooker and add all the four dals.
Add turmeric powder, tomatoes, green chilli and salt and sufficient water. Close the lid and cook till the dals are cooked.
Open the lid and mash with a dal masher.
Add butter, coriander leaves and water as required.
Bring to a boil.
For the Tadka
Heat ghee in a kadai. Add the mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
When the mustard seeds starts spluttering, add cumin seeds, whole dry red chili, curry leaves and garlic. Fry for a minute.
Add the onions and cook till the onion turns golden brown.
Add this tadka to the boiling dal. Remove from heat and serve hot with rice or roti.
The following are not actuals and just estimates:
- You can also cook this recipe without the pressure cooker for best taste and flavor.
- If you do not have any dal, then you can omit it.
- You can add in green chili if you want for more spicy flavor. Add them when you boil the dal.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 7.4g | Fat: 8.3g | Saturated Fat: 4.4g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 447mg | Potassium: 322mg | Fiber: 6.6g | Sugar: 5.3g | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2.2mg