Pal Payasam recipe, Milk Rice Kheer
Pal Payasam or the milk rice kheer is a deliciously tasty dessert which is a must after meals in South India. Made with few ingredients, this dessert will take you back to your childhood.
Cook Time 1 hour
Soaking Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 3 people
For the payasam
- 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 1 litre milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar (or as per your taste)
- 2 - 3 cardamom
For garnish (optional)
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 cup of dried fruits and nuts of your choice. Chopped into small pieces
Making the Pal Payasam
Take a large and wide heavy bottomed pan. Add milk and water to it. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
Add the rice and stir. Keep a wooden ladle on top of the pan to prevent it from spilling over.
Cook on medium heat while stirring occasionally.
Cook till the rice is done. Add in the sugar and cook until it achieves your desired consistency.
- Please remember, once the payasam cools down, it will thicken further. So remove from heat slightly before your desired consistency is achieved.
- You can also use powdered cardamom instead of whole cardamom.
- If you do not like to serve the cardamom, you can remove them after the paal payasam is cooked.
- For best results cook on low to medium heat.
Serving: 1small bowl | Calories: 357kcal | Carbohydrates: 63.5g | Protein: 12.5g | Fat: 7.2g | Saturated Fat: 4.3g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 231mg | Fiber: 0.6g | Sugar: 48.9g | Calcium: 320mg | Iron: 0.4mg