Javvarisi Payasam, Sabudana Kheer, Sago Payasam recipe
Javvarisi Payasam, Sabudana Kheer, Sago Kheer is a type of milk pudding made with the use of sago seeds. The small white pearls cooked with milk and sugar to make a delicious dessert just perfect for any occasion.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Soaking Time 50 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup sago pearls
- 1 liter milk
- 1 cup sugar more or less according to your sweetness preference
- dry fruits or nuts of your choice chopped
Rinse the sago pearls with water a couple of times. Soak them in 2 cups of water for half an hour.
After half an hour, drain the water and allow it to sit for another 20 minutes. This helps to moisturize the sago pearls thoroughly.
In a pan, bring the milk to a boil. Add the soaked sago gently while stirring with a spoon.
Continue cooking the milk on a simmer while stirring occasionally.
When the sago is cooked, they will become transparent. Switch off the flame at that point and add sugar.
Stir till the sugar is dissolved. Serve warm or chilled garnished with dry fruits
The following are only estimates and not actuals:
- Soak the sago pearls in sufficient water. This will help the sago to cook faster and thoroughly.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar according to your preference. You can also substitute it with other natural sugars.
- Garnish with dried fruits or nuts of your choice. You can also add coconut pieces to it.
- Adding condensed milk just before adding the sugar will elevate the taste to another level.
Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 82.4g | Protein: 8.5g | Fat: 5.3g | Saturated Fat: 3.2g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 122mg | Potassium: 148mg | Sugar: 61.6g | Calcium: 240mg