Coconut Chutney recipe in restaurant style is a very tasty accompaniment that is just perfect with your idli or dosa.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 3 -4
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated or cut into small pieces
- 2-3 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tbsp roasted chana dal
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- few curry leaves
- 2 whole dry red chili
- 1 tsp urad dal
In a mixer, add the coconut, roasted chana dal, garlic, and green chilies and grind to a coarse paste.
After you have ground the paste, add salt and a little water to your required consistency. Again grind to make a fine paste.
Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds.
When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add the red chili, urad dal and curry leaves.
Pour this tempering over the ground coconut paste. Serve with idli, medhu vada, upma or dosa.
The following are just estimated and not actuals:
- Always serve coconut chutney as soon as possible.
- The chutney doesn't stay good for long. The maximum you can store this chutney is in an airtight container for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- You can also add cashew nuts in place of roasted chana dal.
- Tempering can be tweaked according to preference.