Veg Pulao Recipe with step by step photos and video instructions is made with lot of veggies and spices. Now, do not be alarmed. Though you will find a long list of ingredients, like the vegetable biryani, that go into this pulav, but making it is fairly simple.
What is veg pulao?
The simple veg pulav recipe is not only easy but also pretty quick to make. You can start cooking the gravy while your rice soaks. By the time the rice is soaked, your vegetable pulav base will be ready. Also, you can keep the potatoes for boiling in the meantime.
How to retain the color of peas?
You can cook the peas along with the rice itself. They are not only cooked perfectly but also retain their vibrant color. If you cook it along with the rest of the vegetables, then by the time, the Vegetable pulao recipe gets ready, the peas lose their appeal. So just cook the peas along with the rice itself for best results.
What is the difference between biryani and pulao?
In the biryani, the vegetables and rice are cooked separately. But in a pulao, the vegetables are cooked and rice is added to it and cooked till done.
If you have already seen my Vegetable Dum Biryani, you would be wondering how is this recipe different from it. If you follow the instructions carefully, you will notice that in the Vegetable Dum Biryani, I have fried all the vegetables. It is quite a tedious process to make that.
In this Veg Pulao recipe, we do not fry the veggies. All we have to do is just boil the potatoes and cook the veggies and rice along with the masala itself. There is no necessity to fry individual veggies separately. And that, for me, is good news. The quick fix recipes like these are not only easy but also seem so elegant.
Can you substitute oil with ghee?
Yes, You can substitute the oil with ghee or use half of both. I have used the unrefined gingelly oil, but you can even use the refined if that is what you are accustomed to.
Pro Tips / Important points to remember while making the veg pulao recipe
Step by step pictorial process of making the veg pulao recipe
1. Boil the potatoes. Soak the basmati rice for half an hour.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add the whole garam masala spices, green chili, and onions. Fry till the onion are golden brown in color.
3. Add in the ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell vanishes from it.
4. Add in green beans, carrot, beetroot or any other vegetable that you might want now.
5. Cook on high heat till the veggies turn soft.
6. Next, add the red chili powder, coriander powder salt and yogurt. Mix well.
7. Add the boiled potatoes, coriander leaves and mint leaves. Mix well and cook on low heat now.
8. Add vegetable pulao gravy to the soaked rice. Add sufficient amount of water. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover the pan firmly with a lid and cook on very low heat for 15 minutes.
9. Let it rest for 10 more minutes. Open, mix and serve hot with Onion Raita.
Serve the veg pulav recipe hot.
For more similar recipes try:
- Peas Pulao
- Jeera Rice
- Anda Biryani
- South Indian Chicken Biryani
- Egg Dum Biryani
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Veg Fried Rice
So let’s learn how to make the Veg Pulao recipe
Veg Pulao Recipe
- 750 gms basmati rice soaked for half an hour
- 1/2 cup peas
- 4 tbsp oil or ghee
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardomon
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 3 onions finely sliced
- 2 green chillies
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 cup beans cut into 1 inch sticks
- 1 beetroot diced
- 2 cups yogurt
- 4 potatoes boiled, peeled and cut into quarter
- bunch of coriander leaves
- bunch of mint leaves
- salt to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan and add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, onion and green chili. Fry till the onion is golden brown in color.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell vanishes from it.
- Add in the coriander powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Next, throw in the carrot, beans, beetroot and cook on high heat till the vegetables are soft.
- Add in the yogurt, and mix thoroughly.
- Add the boiled potatoes, coriander leaves, mint leaves, lemon juice and cook on simmer.
- Drain water from the soaked rice and transfer this rice to a large vessel. Add vegetable gravy.
- Add sufficient water and bring to a boil.
- Cook covered firmly on very low heat for 15 minutes. Let it rest for another ten to fifteen minutes before opening the lid.
- Mix gently and serve hot with raita.
- For every 1 cup of rice, add 2 cups of water. Depending on the quality of rice, the water quantity will differ. So adjust accordingly.
- Crush the garam masala lightly before adding. It brings out a very good aroma.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in February of 2017. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. Step by Step Photos and Video has been added in December 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.