Vazhakkai poriyal with step by step photos and video is a tasty and easy poriyal that is made with raw banana. Quick to make, this is as delicious as the potato poriyal.
What is vazhakkai
Vazhakkai is nothing but the raw banana in Tamil. It is also called plantain. Raw banana is a very versatile veggie that can be in numerous ways. It is added to sambars, made as chips or even as thogayal.
How to make the garlic chili paste
One of the ingredients that goes into making this recipe is the garlic and chili paste.
You can either crush the garlic using a stone pestle or use a mixie. For the most authentic taste, use the stone pestle. Though the process is tedious, the flavor is simply amazing. Also, you can use whole dry red chili while crushing the garlic or add the red chili powder.
You can also store the garlic chili paste in the refrigerator for a month. Do not add water while grinding for preserving longer. You can find a lot of recipes on the blog that use this garlic chili paste like bharwa karela, potato podimas.
How to make vazhakkai poriyal
Making this dish is pretty easy. All you have to do is simply prepare a tempering and add the banana to it. Then you need to add the chili garlic paste for taking the poriyal to altogether another level of flavor and aroma.
Pro Tips / Important things to remember
- Dice the raw banana into small pieces for the best taste. If you cut it thick, they might just not be cooked thoroughly as desired.
- As soon as you cut the raw banana, place them in water to prevent discoloration.
- Cook on low to medium heat for best results.
- Do not cook in pressure cooker.
- This dish doesn’t require a lot of oil. But if you want a crunchy flavor, you can add in a little bit extra oil and cook until crispy.
Step By Step pictorial of vazhakkai poriyal recipe
- Cut the raw banana into small cubes and place them in water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the ingredients for the tempering. Fry them for a minute.
- Add in the diced banana pieces, salt and turmeric powder. Stir the banana well until all the water is absorbed from it.
- Cook the vazhakkai poriyal on low heat while stirring occasionally.
- When the banana is almost done, add the prepared chili garlic paste. Mix well till it is fully coated with the raw banana.
- Cook till the banana is fully cooked and done. Serve hot.
Serve this vazhakkai poriyal hot immediately. This can be a great side dish with some plain hot rice and chettinad onion kulambu.
This can be served at lunch or at dinner too. It is a great health food. You can try reducing the amount of oil and have it as a main meal as well.
Let’s get started with the vazhakkai poriyal or the raw banana poriyal
Vazhakkai Poriyal, Raw banana poriyal
- 2 raw banana cut into small cubes
For chili garlic paste
- 1 pod garlic (small ones)
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- few curry leaves
- 2 dry red chili
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Preparing the chili garlic paste
- Grind together the garlic and chili powder in stone pestle or in a mixie. Set aside this paste.
Cooking the raw banana poriyal
- Heat oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start spluttering add the cumin seeds, curry leaves, dry chili. Fry for a minute.
- Add the raw banana, salt, and turmeric powder. Stir well until all the moisture is absorbed. Cook until the banana is almost done, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add in the chili garlic paste. Fry well till all the masala is coated with the banana.
- Cook on low heat till the banana is fully cooked. Remove from heat and serve hot.
- Cut the raw banana into small cubes and soak them immediately in water.
- Cook on low to medium heat for best flavor and taste.
- It's best to prepare the chili garlic paste fresh every time.
Signing off until next time,
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.