Tomato Dal Recipe or Tomato Pappu Andhra Style recipe is a very delicious and simple to make dal recipe made with tomato and spices.
Now let me start the Tomato Dal Recipe – Tomato Pappu Andhra Style recipe without any ramblings. Dal is a very integral part of every household in India. For every part of India you will find a different variety of dal recipe. Every recipe is so similar and yet so different. It’s amazing to see the number of dal recipes that you can find in India.
The tomato dal recipe or the tomato pappu andhra style recipe is a very simple and tasty recipe. I love the fact that we don’t have to give a separate tadka or tempering to this dal. We cook this dish in one pot. First the spices are cooked and then the dal is added to it and cooked in it till done. Now, me being me, just love these kind of preparations. Easy, simple and quick. Just the kind of recipe that lazy cooks like me make. You need to try it to believe it.
You can serve this Tomato Dal Recipe – Tomato Pappu Andhra Style recipe with some plain steamed rice, papad and achar.
For more dal recipes you can check
Let’s get started with the Tomato Dal Recipe – Tomato Pappu Andhra Style recipe
Tomato Dal Recipe
What You Need:
- 1 cup toor dal / split yellow pigeon peas
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 4-5 whole dry red chili / lal mirch
- few sprigs of curry leaves / kadi patta
- 3-4 garlic cloves / lahsun
- 1 onion / pyaz, finely sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric / haldi
- salt to taste
- 3-4 to matoes / tamatar, chopped
How To Make:
- Wash and soak the toor dal for at least half an hour.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the mustard seeds and cook till they splutter.
- When the mustard seeds begin to splutter, add cumin seeds, whole red chili, curry leaves, cloves and onion. Fry till the onion turns golden brown in color.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Mix well.
- Now add the dal with 2-3 cups of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook for 2-3 whistles or until the dal is cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape and mash the dal. Add water according to the consistency that you like. Give it a boil and remove from flame.
- Serve hot with plain steamed rice, papad and achar.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.