Tawa Keema recipe or bhuna keema fry with step by step photos and video instructions is a delicious mutton mince recipe made on a tawa or a skillet. This is much like the mutton keema recipe but with an entirely different method.
What is a Tawa?
Tawa is nothing but a large, flat disc-shaped frying pan which can be used for making dosas, chapatis, etc. Now we have made the tawa keema recipe on it and hence the name. Even dosa and cheela (gram flour crepes) are made on the tawa. They are also used for shallow frying snacks like aloo tikki, shami kabab and for dry roasting spices, nuts, and seeds. Other recipes made on tawa are tawa pulao, pav bhaji among plenty others.
What is Tawa Keema?
The entire recipe is made on a tawa- a concavely shaped round pan, widely used in Indian/Pakistani homes for making various flatbreads like rotis and parathas. If you have noticed a lot of street food in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are made on the tawa or skillet. Apart from giving a very unique taste, it helps to evenly cook the food and makes the cooking process faster too.
The tawa keema recipe or the bhuna keema fry is a very uncomplicated and simple dish to make.
You could even use this as filling for making the keema bread instead Chicken Bread with Cheese or even for Mutton Keema Paratha.
The best part is that it is so easy to make with simple spices with a very distinct taste. This tawa keema recipe is one of the easiest and quick keema recipe to prepare.
A dry curry which can be cooked in less than 30 minutes and so easy that you can make these when you have unexpected guests at home or when you want to cook something easy for dinner after a long and hard day.
In case you don’t have a tawa, then you can easily use a frying pan or a medium skillet. But for the authentic feel use a tawa and use a medium-sized or a large tawa, so that the keema or the mutton mince does not spill from the sides while cooking.
For making this recipe, you will need keema or mutton mince, onion, tomatoes, and the regular Indian spices and herbs. I have made a puree of the tomatoes but however, you can just finely chop them and add to the recipe.
Pro Tips / Important Things to remember while making this tawa keema recipe
Step by Step pictorial of making the tawa keema or the bhuna keema
1. Heat oil in a tawa and add the onion and green chili.
2. Fry till the onion turns golden brown in color.
3. Add salt and other spices and fry well.
4. Next, add the tomatoes and fry again.
5. Now, throw in the mutton mince and fry well till all the water is absorbed from the keema. Fry well till brown.
6. Add water if necessary. If your mutton is tender, then you can skip adding the water altogether and simply fry the keema directly.
7. Cook covered until the keema is cooked. Stir in between to prevent it from burning at the bottom.
8. Add lemon juice and stir well. Switch off the heat and transfer to a bowl and serve hot immediately.
You can eat this with roti, naan, chapati, or even serve it as a side dish with rice. While serving tawa keema recipe/bhuna keema fry, drizzle some lemon juice on top and garnish with coriander leaves. accompany with some onion ring salad or any other vegetable salad.
Serve it hot.
For more similar recipes see
How to make the tawa keema recipe or the bhuna keema fry
Tawa Keema recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 1/2 kg mutton mince
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 green chili, cut
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- coriander leaves/cilantro for garnish
How To Make:
- Clean the mutton mince/keema thoroughly and place it in a strainer to remove all the water from the keema.
- Heat oil in a tawa/skillet and add the onions and green chili. When the onion is lightly brown, add the ginger garlic paste and fry till all the raw smell has evaporated from it. Add the tomato and cook till it is tender. Now add the mutton mince/keema, red chili powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Let all the water dry up from the keema. Now add a cup of water and allow the keema to cook. When all the water has dried up, fry well till the keema has browned.
- Your delicious tawa keema recipe is ready to serve. Squeeze the juice of one lemon and garnish with coriander leaves/cilantro just before serving.
- You can also add whole garam masala instead of using the powder.
- Always remember to strain the water well from the keema.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in March of 2016. New, Image, Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding. The recipe has been made printable in November 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.