Tawa Chicken recipe or Tawa Murgh recipe with step by step photos and video is a chicken dish prepared on a tawa. This dish gets cooked super fast as the heat from the tawa gets evenly distributed. It’s surprisingly easy to pull together like tawa keema, and trust me it’s just as good as anything ordered off the take-out menu.
The tawa chicken recipe is also one of the quickest chicken dishes that I’ve ever made, requiring negligible sautéing and simmering time. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, because I love their texture and flavor—particularly in tawa dishes. But boneless chicken thighs will work just fine, too. Just be sure to use small, bite-sized pieces of the chicken cuts.
What is english name of Tawa?
Tawa or tava is large, flat, concave or convex pan. The tawa is a widely popular cooking utensil in Asia. It is generally made of cast iron, sheet iron or even aluminium.
What is a tawa pan used for?
It is used for making roti, dosa, shallow frying or other such recipes. The large, flat base helps to evenly distribute the heat to the food.
Benefits of cooking in tawa
As the tawa is a large flat disc-shaped pan, the heat is evenly distributed. The food gets cooked evenly and much faster. And the taste of cooking in a cast iron tawa is really different and awesome.
What is tawa food?
Tawa food are the dishes that are made on a tawa. The dishes get cooked super fast on a tawa and the taste is really awesome. You will find most of the roadside eateries in India making food on a tawa.
Uses of Tawa
Some of the recipes that use tawa are: pesarattu, masala dosa. Even dosa and cheela (gram flour crepes) are made on the tawa. they are also used for shallow frying snacks like aloo tikki, shami kabab, Tawa keema and for dry roasting spices, nuts and seeds. Other recipes made on tawa are tawa pulao, pav bhaji among plenty others. In case you don’t have a tawa, then you can easily use a frying pan or a medium skillet. But for the authentic feel, use a tawa.
What is Tawa chicken?
The tawa chicken recipe is nothing but a chicken dish that is made on a tawa. The entire recipe is made on a tawa/tava. Made with very few spices, this dish gets ready in a jiffy. There is no marination required for this recipe. Just make sure, you have really small chicken pieces.
Ingredients for making the tawa chicken recipe
- Chicken: a good source of protein and not to forget the yummy taste. You can use either chicken breasts or chicken thighs for getting the boneless pieces.
- Onion: No dish can be complete without the onion. It gives the dish it’s masala.
- Green Chili: Spiciness from green chili takes the tawa chicken recipe to another level.
- Ginger Garlic Paste: Apart from great flavor, it acts as a tenderizer.
- Spices: Basic, simple and flavorful spices are what makes the tawa chicken fry so special.
Step by Step Pictorial of making the tawa chicken fry
- First heat a tawa. The taw that I used is a flat and wide pan made of cast iron. Pour oil and add the green chili and the chopped onions.
2. Lightly fry the onions till translucent. We do not fry the onions a lot as they might get burned later on in the cooking process. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for a couple of minutes till the raw smell has vanished from it.
3. Next, add in the boneless chicken pieces. Saute till water dries up from it.
4. Mix in the red chili powder, black pepper powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder. Mix well till all the spices are coated well with the chicken pieces.
5. Keep stirring often to prevent burning. Cook till the chicken is thoroughly cooked and browned. Serve hot with rice or roti with lemon wedges and coriander leaves.
Pro Tips / Important Points to remember
- You can make it with any cut of the boneless chicken pieces.
- Make sure that the chicken pieces are really small and not too big as they might not get cooked thoroughly.
- If you do not have a cast-iron tawa you can also make this in any pan.
While serving the tawa chicken recipe, drizzle some lemon juice on top and garnish with coriander leaves. accompany with some onion ring salad or any other vegetable salad.
I served this tawa chicken recipe with some peas pulao and it was absolutely amazing. You can very well serve it with any kind of Indian bread or rice.
Serve it hot.
How to make Tawa Chicken recipe or Tawa Murgh recipe
Tawa Chicken recipe, Tawa Murgh
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 1/2 kg boneless chicken pieces, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 green chili, slit in middle
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- coriander leaves/cilantro for garnish
How To Make:
- Clean the chicken pieces thoroughly and place it on a strainer to remove all the water from the chicken.
- Heat oil in a tawa / skilet on medium high heat, and add the onions and green chili. When the onion is lightly brown, add the ginger garlic paste and fry till all the raw smell has evaporated from it.
- Add in the chicken pieces, red chili powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Let all the water dry up from the chicken. When all the water has dried up, fry the chicken pieces thoroughly till browned.
- Your delicious tawa chicken recipe is ready to serve. Squeeze the juice of one lemon and garnish with coriander leaves/cilantro just before serving.
- To remove the raw smell from the chicken wash with turmeric powder, wheat flour and vinegar.
- Ensure you cut the chicken into small pieces.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in March 2016. New, Image, Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding for the readers. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.