Oven Baked Tandoori Chicken recipe with step by step instructions – tandoori recipes are favorite in punjabi families.Tandoori chicken recipe is an excellent snack or starter recipe. Talk about tandoori chicken and there won’t be any meat lover who wouldn’t like this dish. This recipe has to be one of the most loved chicken recipe all over the world.
I don’t have a tandoor at home, but I can still cook tandoori dishes at home and make a great boneless tandoori chicken in oven. Necessity is the mother of all inventions, as they say. All the same, it just tastes as fabulous as restaurant one.
To marinate the chicken in this recipe, I have used yogurt with aromatic spices.
This tandoori chicken recipe is a dry kind of recipe, if you prefer more gravy based recipe you can try these recipes Instant Murgh Makhani Recipe-Butter Chicken Masala Easy and quick Karahi Chicken Recipe Pahadi Chicken Recipe-Pahadi Chicken Curry
When I was making this recipe, I realised that I haven’t posted it even though I have posted Chicken Shish Tawook Recipe, Homemade Easy Tandoori Chicken Recipe in Oven and Chicken Malai Tikka. You can use the left over tandoori chicken in a wide array of dishes like the kathi roll, chicken sandwich, and other such recipes and hence I should have been posted a long time ago. But better late than never, I guess.
This boneless tandoori chicken recipe is a spicy dish, but if you prefer it milder, then feel free to add less chili powder for kids or your yourself.
I have used boneless chicken breasts for this recipe as my kids love such pieces, but you can make it with other parts of the chicken too. When we make the boneless tandoori chicken recipe it becomes easy to add it to other recipes. You can even shred it and make a simple chicken salad with it by adding veggies into it. You can serve this boneless tandoori chicken recipe in oven with mint chutney
For more similar recipes see
So let’s get started with the tandoori chicken recipe in oven-How to make boneless tandoori chicken
Oven Baked Tandoori Chicken recipe
- 500 gms boneless chicken
- 1 cups yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp ginger - garlic paste
- 1-2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder or tandoori masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 2 tbsp besan/gram flour roasted
- 1 or 2 tsp lemon juice
- black salt or rock salt as required
- olive oil to baste
- Clean and cut the boneless chicken into cubes.
- Use thick yogurt or you have to strain the yogurt remove the excess water from it. You can use a cheesecloth/muslin cloth and tie the yogurt and let the whey drain out from it. This might take about 45 mins to 1 hour. This step is essential as too much water in the curd will make the masala to fall apart while baking the chicken.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the besan/ gram flour lightly till it lightly changes the color and gives out a aroma.
- Remove from pan and add this roasted besan/gram flour to the hung curd, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, garam masala or tandoori masala, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chaat masala, salt and lemon juice. Mix well to form a thick paste.
- Add the paste to the chicken pieces and mix thoroughly. Marinate the chicken for 6 hours or for best results, overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the marinated chicken pieces on a grill rack and baste with oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes or till they get cooked and the edges start to brown.
- Once cooked, remove from the rack and arrange the chicken pieves on a serving platter or plate.
- Garnish tandoori chicken with coriander leaves/ciantro and sprinkle some chaat masala on top
- Serve with mint-coriander-yogurt chutney along with sliced onion and lemon wedges.
- You can also sprinkle some lemon juice on the tandoori chicken if you want.
- Enjoy your tandoori chicken with bread, buns or rotis or naan or dal-rice.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in October 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.