Masala Chaas recipe or the spiced buttermilk is a unique way to cool down during summer. Made with few ingredients, you will never again feel bored to drink the buttermilk.
Is buttermilk a chaas?
Though not exactly what an exact buttermilk is, it is an Indian equivalent of the buttermilk. It is made from thin buttermilk. For a lack of better term, chaas has evolved itself as being called buttermilk.
Authentically, the chaas is made with the leftover water after making butter from cream, or directly from yogurt.
The masala chaas is a revitalizing drink that you will never get bored of. It is made of chilled yogurt and herbs like cilantro or mint.
Buttermilk is good for health
The masala chaas or the buttermilk highly recommended during the summer season in reducing body heat and keeping you cool. It is low in fat and high in carbohydrates making it a good and healthy energy source. Even if you are on a weight loss regime, you can include this in your diet without fear as it is low in calories as well.
It is good for digestion, acidity has calcium among a host of other benefits.
Things to remember while making masala chaas recipe.
- The consistency of the masala chaas recipe depends upon your preference. You can add in more or less water.
- For best taste, use home set yogurt.
- You can add in any herbs of your preference. Mint, cilantro, curry leaves are some of them.
- Even the spices can be modified according to your fancy. Adding asafoetida, chaat masala, chili powder, pepper powder are all your choices.
You can serve the masala chaas recipe chilled or at room temperature. Serve it before the meal or after the meal. Or just out of the blue. Relish this when you are thirsty. There are absolutely no restrictions for serving this masala chaas at any time, every time, all the time.
This chaas recipe is very unique in it’s own way. Unlike any other buttermilk recipe, this has a unique spicy taste to it. I have included green chili for that extra zing to it. But if spice is not your forte then you can totally omit it.
Step by step pictorial of masala chaas
- Take chilled yogurt in a bowl.
2. Add herbs and green chili.
3. Add spices and salt.
4. Adjust water according to preference and blend until frothy. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
So let’s get started with the spicy masala chaas recipe or the spiced buttermilk
Masala Chaas Recipe, Spiced Buttermilk
Masala Chaas recipe or the spiced buttermilk is a unique way to cool down this summer. Made with few ingredients, you will never again feel bored to drink the buttermilk.
- 1 cup yogurt
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- handful of coriander leaves
- 2 green chili
- 2 cups water
- Add all the ingredients in a jar or blender & blend well.
- Serve chilled
- Add in any herbs and spices that you prefer. There is no one right way to relish this drink.
- Serve before or after food. You can also serve this as a welcome drink during summer to quench the thirst.
- Add less salt for lesser sodium
The following are not actuals and just rough estimates.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in March 2017. New image, Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.