Bhindi Masala recipe with step by step photo and video instructions is a delicious side-dish made with ladies finger or okra. Like the Beans Aloo Sabji, this is pretty easy to make.
What is Bhindi?
Bhindi is nothing but okra or ladies finger. It is such a versatile veggie that whatever ingredients we add to the recipe, it tastes great. It is long and when cut turns slimy or sticky.
What is Bhindi Masala recipe?
Bhindi masala is nothing but the ladies finger/okra or bhindi is cooked along with onion and tomato with few basic spices.
The best part of making this bhindi masala recipe is the way it is cut. I love to cut it sideways. It adds a different kind of beauty to the dish. All you have to do is simply hold the knife sideways in a slanting position and cut.
What are the ingredients needed for bhindi masala?
Bhindi masala recipe is made with very basic ingredients such as
- Ginger garlic paste
Yes, the list is pretty short for making this dish.
How to make bhindi that is not sticky?
- Always wash the bhindi and pat dry before cutting them. If there is moisture then it will turn slimy easily.
- Cut on a dry chopping board with a dry knife. Avoid any contact with water when you are cutting the ladies finger.
- When you add the bhindi to the masala, cook on high heat for few minutes till all the masala is coated to the bhindi and it changes it’s color lightly.
- You can cook the bhindi masala uncovered to further prevent the stickiness. Or if you are cooking covered, do not stir too often.
Pro Tips / important things to remember while making this bhindi masala recipe
Step by Step Pictorial process of making the bhindi masala recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Fry till the onion turns translucent in color. Next, add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell vanishes from the ginger garlic paste.
2. Add the tomato, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt.
3. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
4. Next, add the bhindi and cook on high heat while stirring gently.
5. When the masala is fully coated and the bhindi slightly changes it’s color, cook covered on simmer till done. Alternatively, you can cook it uncovered to lessen the stickiness. Serve hot immediately.
Serve hot immediately.
You can serve it with both rice or roti. It goes well with steamed plain rice and mix dal tadka.
More similar recipe:
How to make the Bhindi Masala Recipe
Bhindi Masala recipe
- 500 gms ladies finger cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomato chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Heat oil and add onion. Cook till onions are translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell vanishes from it.
- Add tomato and the turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt. Mix them well and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the ladies finger cook on high heat till the bhindi changes it's color lightly. At this point, cover the lid and cook on slow flame. Let the ladies finger cook in steam, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from fire when the colour of the ladies finger has changed
- You can add cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala along with red chili powder.
- When you heat the oil, you can also add the cumin seeds before adding onion.
- Ginger garlic paste can be omitted and garlic can be added along with onion instead.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in May of 2015. New images, Step by step photos and video have been added for the better understanding of the users. The recipe has been made printable in December 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.