Khatti Dal recipe, Hyderabadi with step by step photos and video is a delicious dal made with pulses and spices along with tamarind water. This is a must have every day in some houses.
Easy to make and light on the stomach, the Hyderabadi Khatti Dal recipe is really a yummy delicacy. Even the most beginner cooks can make this dal without any difficulty. You can check out the video first to see what I mean.
What is Hyderabadi Khatti Dal?
Hyderabadi Khatti Dal is nothing but a gravy made with toor dal and tamarind water. The term “khatti” means sour, and as we add the tamarind water for the sourness in the dal, the name has evolved as “Khatti Dal”. Since it is a dish that is generally made and served in the Hyderabadi homes, this dal has become famous out there.
Which dal to use?
Although I have used Toor dal for making the dal for this recipe, you can use Masoor dal (red lentils) instead. You can also try this with moong dal if you prefer that. It tastes awesome with whichever dal you make. Just remember to use the split dals and not the whole.
What to use for the sourness in the recipe?
Traditionally, tamarind is soaked and water is extracted from it. Then this tamarind water is added to the boiled and mashed dal. But you can also use lemon juice instead of tamarind water. You can also use the store-bought tamarind paste and mix it with water and add it to the dal.
Can you store the Hyderabadi Khatti Dal?
You can boil the dal, mash, add the tamarind water and freeze it for up to 15 minutes. Defrost the dal completely and add the coriander leaves and give the tempering when you need it. It would taste as good as fresh dal. But if you temper and try to store, the dal would change the taste due to the garlic present in it.
Step by Step pictorial of making the Hyderabadi Khatti Dal recipe
- Take the soaked toor dal, onion, tomato, turmeric powder, salt in a large enough pan or pressure cooker. If the toor dal is soaked, it doesn’t take much time to cook.
- Add sufficient water and switch on the heat. When the dal starts boiling, it will start to foam. Even if you are using a pressure cooker, boil the dal without the lid on till it foams.
- When it starts foaming, gently remove the foam with a spoon. If you are using the pressure cooker, you can close the lid after removing the foam. If you do not remove the foam, it will start bursting out from the top.
- Cook dal on medium heat till done. If necessary either mash with a wooden masher or a hand blender. Add in the tamarind water at this stage.
- Add the coriander leaves and curry leaves. Adjust salt if required. Bring it to a boil.
- Prepare a tempering of jeera, garlic, red chili powder. Pour the dal over the tempering and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and serve hot with steamed hot rice.
Pro Tips / Important Things to remember while making this recipe
- You can make this recipe with toor dal, masoor dal or moong dal. But traditionally it is made with toor dal.
- Always soak the dal for at least half an hour prior to cooking.
- Use lemon use instead of tamarind water if you prefer that.
- You can add in green chili while boiling the dal for more spicy flavor.
- For the tempering, dry red chili, mustard seeds can be added.
Serve this dal hot.
let’s get started with the Hyderabadi Khatti Dal recipe
Khatti Dal Recipe, Hyderabadi
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 1 cup toor dal, yellow split peas
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt , or to taste
- 1 lemon sized ball of tamarind, soaked in water or 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
Ingredients for Tempering
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
How To Make:
- Soak the dal for at least half an hour
- In a pan, add the dal along with tomato, onion, salt, turmeric and salt with 4 cups of water. (or as required).
- Bring it to a boil and remove the foam. This prevents the liquid from overflowing during cooking. (You can add a teaspoon of ghee, this further prevents the overflow)
- Cook until the dal is done. Mash it well with a wooden masher or hand blender.
- Squeeze out the tamarind extract with water and discard the rest of it.
- Add the tamarind water to the dal, along with coriander leaves and curry leaves. Bring it to boil.
- Heat oil and add the cumin seeds and garlic. Next throw in the red chili powder.
- Give it a quick stir and quickly add the prepared dal.
- Bring it to a boil and serve hot.
- If you add ghee while boiling the dal, it will prevent from overflowing.
- While using a wooden masher, keep less water in the dal. If you are using hand blender to mash the dal, it will better if you add more water to it.
- You can also use any tempering ingredients that you prefer like the mustard seeds, whole dry red chili, etc.
- If you soak the dal, it doesn't take long for the dal to cook.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in March 2015. New, Image, Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding for the readers. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.