Sabudana Khichdi recipe, Sago Khichdi, Javvarisi Khichadi. A delicious and yummy khichdi recipe made with the tapioca pearls. It is an excellent breakfast dish which is filling and won’t let you be hungry till the afternoon. As we soak the sabudana overnight, making this in the morning is quite a breeze.
All that you would need to do is boil the potato. And if you have already boiled the potatoes overnight, then even that time would be reduced.
I was first introduced to this sabudana khichdi by my Maharashtrian neighbor. She was the one who not only gave me the Kolhapuri Chicken recipe but also the Batata Vada recipe. As I love the sago a lot, I was totally thrilled when I first tasted this dish. I was really thrilled to find the sago in this form and not like the Javvarisi Payasam and javvarisi vada like we generally have down south.
Sabudana khichdi recipe is a must try at least once. The main trick is the soaking of the sabudana. If you don’t follow the method to the T, you will either end up with hard or soggy khichdi.
It is not so difficult to follow. All you have to do is soak the sabudana for an hour in sufficient water. Then drain the water from the sabudana, sprinkle some water on it, leave it overnight. Wake up in the morning, sprinkle some more water on it, and wait for an hour. That’s it!! If you follow this method, you will never be disappointed with the sabudana khichdi recipe.
You can see that the sabudanas are soft when you press between your finger. At the same time they are separate and do not stick to one other. This is the ultimate trick to making the perfect sabudana khichdi recipe. If you follow this tip, you will never ever worry about getting your sabudana khichdi wrong, In sha Allah.
So let’s get started with the Sabudana Khichdi recipe, Sago Khichadi, Javvarisi Upma
Sabudana Khichdi recipe, Sago Khichadi, Javvarisi Upma
- 2 cups sago / tapioca pearls / javvarisi
- 1 large potato boiled, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 2 green chili cut into small pieces
- few curry leaves
- 3/4 cup peanut crushed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- Wash the sago two to three times. Be gentle while washing.
- Add sufficient water and let it soak for 1 hour. After one hour, drain the water. Sprinkle some water on the sago and let it rest overnight covered.
- In the morning, sprinkle some water and allow to rest for 1 more hour. Your sago is ready to be cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, green chili, curry leaves and peanuts. Fry for a minute or till the peanuts are crunchy.
- Next throw in the turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Mix and add potatoes. Mix till the potato is coated well with the masala.
- Add in the soaked sabudana and cook till they turn opaque in color. Stir gently in between.
- Serve hot with mint yogurt chutney.
These are the ingredients that you would need for the sabudana khichdi
Wash the sabudana two to three times gently. Soak in sufficient water for one hour. After an hour, drain the water, sprinkle some on top and leave it overnight covered.
You will find that the sago must have soaked all the water. When you press between fingers, you will feel that the sabudana is soft. You can even sprinkle some water and leave it for 1 hour before you start cooking for best results.
Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, curry leaves and green chilli. Add the crushed peanuts, fry for a minute. Add the chili powder, turmeric powder, salt. Stir and add the boiled potato. Mix.
Add the sabudana and mix gently. Cook till the sabudana turns opaque in color. Your delicious sabudana khichdi recipe is ready to relish.
Signing off until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com. Appreciate your help.