السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Rice Flour Chakli Recipe. Learn how to make South Indian Murukku using the rice flour and roasted, powdered ural dal.Known by different names in different regions, with different ingredients, there is no denying the fact that the Rice Flour Chakli recipe rules the roost in the snacking world.
Even though, it will be known by various names, but everyone would reach out to the chakli when given an option. I have learnt that pretty well. Whenever I make other snacks along with this Rice Flour Chakli recipe, no one would touch the other stuff and totally finish off this first.
It is made with various combinations, some people make it with rice flour and besan, some will make it with wheat flour, there are no end to the combinations that you could easily find on the internet. I most often make this version and the first time I had it was through my friend, F. She had made it and got some for me. I was totally floored by how crisp and yet easy to bite into it. It simply melt in my mouth and immediately I took down the recipe as the rice and urad dal powder.
When I tried making the rice flour chakli recipe at home, it turned out pretty well but still there was something lacking that I didn’t get it in my chaklis that my friend’s had. She, very sweetly, came over to my home and showed exactly how she made it. And I knew where I went wrong. I got the ready made ural dal powder, which changed the taste a little bit. She roasted the urad dal slightly and powdered it finely. And this powdered urad dal was used along with the rice flour to make the most delicious chaklis that I have ever had. Thank you, F, if you are ever reading this for the awesome recipe that you kindly shared with me.
You will need a chakli maker for this and if you have kids at home, half your job will be done by their enthusiastic hands. I had my kids squirming around to make the chakli, never mind the shapes that they make!! I am planning to buy 2 more chakli makers to reduce the amount of commotion it creates while making this as all three would be going… me first, me first, me first.. I would have to concentrate on settling them down rather than concentrating on making the rice flour chakli recipe.
Let’s get started with the Rice Flour Chakli Recipe, How to make South Indian Murukku
Rice Flour Chakli Recipe, How to make South Indian Murukku
What You Need:
- 2 cups rice flour
- 2 tbsp urad dal
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp jeera / cumin seeds, optional
- 1 tsp kalonji, optional
- oil for frying
How To Make:
- Lightly roast the urad dal till golden brown. Allow it to cool and grind it to a fine powder.
- In a bowl, add the urad dal powder, rice flour, salt, butter, jeera and kalonji and mix.
- Add water little by little and make it in a dough. The dough should neither be too stiff or soft, just like a chapati dough consistency.
- Put the dough in the chakli maker and make chaklis of desired shape.(Alternatively you can even press it above the hot oil directly and make spiral shapes. it wont be perfect round but does save a lot of time making the round shape.)
- Heat oil on medium flame. Carefully pick the chaklis from the flat spoon and place it in hot oil. Fry till lightly golden brown in color. Transfer to a paper towel and allow it to cool. Store in air tight container.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more such recipes try out the following