السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Ragi Puttu recipe. Learn how to make kerala style ragi puttu. One of the most healthiest and tastiest breakfast, this traditional puttu is so filling that it is just too perfect even when you are on a diet.
I simply love this ragi puttu recipe. More than the rice putti, Ammi used to make the ragi puttu recipe when I was small. She had this big aluminium puttu maker in which she would make this dish. More than breakfast, she used to make it during evening times. I don’t remember her ever making with rice flour, I wonder why. And hence the taste bud stuck on and I still like this ragi variation over other varieties.
The ragi puttu recipe is a very healthy dish too, that is if you do not add loads of sugar to it. The puttu is made with grated coconut and it is traditionally eaten with kadala curry or the chana masala in Kerala. But we simply have it with the grated coconut and some sugar to mix. The ragi puttu will be so heavy and filling that if you have it for breakfast, your stomach will be full till the afternoon and which is a great thing especially when you are looking to lose some weight.
You can even make this without the puttu maker. You can fill it in small bowl and place this in pressure cooker with the water at the bottom and cook without the whistle. Or you can just fill a large pan with water and keep the small bowl filled with puttu and close with lid and cook till done. It’s not necessary that you need a puttu maker for making the puttu recipe.
The important part however is how you make the putti flour. Make it with hot water and the consistency should be like wet sand. When you press it between your palm, it should hold shape and yet when you put it back should dissemble. Hmm.. Did that make sense of what I was trying to convey. Just have a look at the picture below and see the consistency of the flour. Add water little by little since if you add too much water, there will be too many lumps in the flour and it won’t taste as good.
You can make this with any kind of flour, like the rice puttu flour, or the chemba puttu flour or the other varieties. In sha ALLAH, I’ll show post them in my blog one by one in future.
Let’s get started with the Ragi Puttu recipe, how to make kerala style ragi puttu
Ragi Puttu recipe, how to make kerala style ragi puttu
- 1 cup ragi puttu flour
- grated coconut as needed
- hot water
- salt to taste
- Take the ragi puttu flour in a bowl and add salt. Mix well to combine.
- Add the hot water little at the time and mix well with a spoon as the flour will be pretty hot to handle. When the flour has cooled down a little, work with your fingers to crumble any lumps from forming. When you take a fistful of flour and press it between your palm, it should hold its shape and when you press it again a little harder, it should crumble. That is the right consistency of more like a wet sand.
- Fill this flour in puttu maker or in a small and steam it for 5-8 mins adding the grated coconut in middle and on top.
- When you get a nice aroma of the steamed puttu and the steam starts coming through the holes of the puttu maker, switch off.
- Allow it to cool for sometime.
- Open the lid and gently push the puttu using the thin rod provided with it or turn it into a plate from the bowl.
- Serve hot with kadala curry or sugar.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more such recipes try out the following