Rabri recipe or the Rabdi recipe is an Indian dessert that is made by cooking the milk over the low flame and using the cream layer that forms on top of it. Like the Doodh Peda or the Kesar Peda, this recipe doesn’t require too many ingredients to make.
The rabri recipe or rabdi recipe, doesn’t call for many ingredients, it’s just the technique which makes the rabri recipe amazing. The rabri recipe is basically the malai or cream that we get from thickening the milk and flavored with cardamom and saffron. Make the rabri recipe in a broad pan as it will be easy and faster to collect the malai. Use a thick bottomed pan to prevent the milk from burning at the base.
Some recipes call for the use of condensed milk, but I like to make the rabri recipe from the fresh milk as the taste is entirely amazing while made from the scratch. Rabri recipe is one of the favorite Indian sweets along with phirni, sheer khurma and mango burfi in my home.
How to make the rabri recipe or the rabdi recipe
What You Need:
- 2 litres of full fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-5 cardamom
- few strands of saffron
- chopped nuts of your choice to garnish
How To Make:
- Heat milk in a wide and broad pan.
- When it comes to a boil, lower the flame.
- Allow the top layer (malai/cream) to form and gently collect this malai and stick it to the side of the pan.
- Keep repeating this process while stirring the milk occasionally to avoid the milk from getting burnt at the bottom.
- After the milk has thickened considerably, scrap all the malai into the pan.
- Add the saffron, sugar and cardamom and stir gently
- Allow the milk to cook on low flame till it becomes thick.
- Garnish with nuts and serve chilled.
- Don’t overdo the stirring as the malai/cream will not form if you keep stirring frequently.
- Use a wide pan as the milk will evaporate faster and the malai will form quickly.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in September 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.