Punjabi Kadhi Pakora recipe is a very delicious punjabi kadhi pakora recipe which is pretty simple to make and tastes amazingly delicious.
Now the punjabi kadhi pakora was definitely not a regular at home. It was only after coming here after marriage that I was introduced to the kadhi pakora by a neighbor. I had tasted the bhindi kadhi and other types of kadhi before, but the punjabi kadhi was a first for me.
Honestly, I wasn’t enamored by the other variations, but this dish was certainly a class apart. I totally loved every bit of it to the very last drop. I simply licked off the bowl of the kadhi.
I asked my neighbor about the recipe and when she explained, it did sound complicated to me. And that was that. I completely didn’t dare to try. It was only after my neighbor left the country that I started missing the kadhi as I regretted not having taken down the recipe on the paper. I looked up the internet and learnt the kadhi from the bajias cooking channel.
When I first saw the video I was totally amazed how easy it was to follow and make it. The process looked pretty simple when I saw the video. And so my first attempt was done to make it. It was definitely a huge success. The taste was just so awesome and I was totally hooked onto the recipe forever.
So let me share the same with you. It’s simple and easy. You just have to make the kadhi, the yogurt gravy, and fry the pakoras and mix it in. Yes, that’s pretty much about it.
If you are looking for more such recipes, try the Tomato Paneer Recipe-How to make tomato paneer recipe Simple Masoor Dal Recipe-how to make masoor dal recipe Punjabi Dal Fry Recipe Recipe for Paneer Butter Masala
Let’s get started with the punjabi kadhi pakora recipe
Punjabi Kadhi Pakora recipe
What You Need:
FOR THE GRAVY
- 1 cup besan/gram flour
- 2 cups yogurt/dahi, beaten
- few sprigs of curry leaves/kadi patta, including the stems
- 1 garlic pod/lahsun
- 1 small piece of ginger/adrak
- 1 onion, roughly chopped/pyaaz
- 2 to matoes, roughly chopped/tamatar
- 1/2 tsp ajwain
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1/2 ts whole black paper/kali mirch
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder/dhaniya powder
- 3/4 tsp turmeric/haldi
- 6 litre water
FOR THE PAKORAS
- 2 cups besan, gram flour
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5-6 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp crushed red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- oil for frying
FOR THE TEMPERING/TADKA
- bunch of curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 10-15 whole red chilies.
How To Make:
For the gravy
- In a large pot, add the besan, yogurt and water and whisk till all the lumps are dissolved from from the besan and yogurt,
- Now add the curry leaves along with stems, garlic cloves, ginger, onion, tomato, ajwain, jeera, black pepper, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Cook this on medium heat stirring occasionally. Be careful as the kadhi overflows from the pot easily.
- Cook till the kadhi is reduced to half in amount. Sieve the kadhi in a strainer to remove all the ingredients from the kadhi. Keep it again on the stove on a simmer while you prepare the pakoras.
For the pakoras.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Mix the besan, onion, green chili, crushed red chili, coriander powder, salt and baking water in a bowl. Add water to make a paste.
- Drop them in hot oil and fry till it is golden brown in color.
- Transfer these pakoras to the kadhi gravy and cook for further few minutes before turning off the flame.
For the tempering/tadka
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a seperate kadai. Add the curry leaves, cumin seeds and whole dry red chili till they splutter.
- Add this tadka/tempering to the kadhi pakora gravy. Serve hot.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in November 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.