Prawn Stir Fry, Indian Style or Easy Prawns Fry is as the name suggests a simple and quick to make shrimps fry recipe.
As the seafood gets cooked pretty fast this is a quick fix kind of recipe. The only tedious part will be the cleaning of the prawns. But if you get that cleaned by the market, then it will be a breeze from there on. But I prefer to de vein the prawns myself, as when we give them to clean in the market, they totally split open it and I, somehow do not like it. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
Having been born and brought up in Chennai, the South Indian capital of the Tamil Nadu, a coastal region, seafood was something that was common in my home. And making the fish fry, prawn fry was just so common in my home.
And after coming to Dubai, another coastal city, it is but natural that we tend to make a lot of seafood recipes with Indian spices. It is strange that I have very limited version of the seafood recipes on my blog. In sha ALLAH, hoping to broaden the category in future.
Winter is the best time to make this Prawn Stir Fry, Indian Style as you get the best seafood around that time. During summer time, the stock of the seafood reduces and the prices soar. I have no clue why, I am guessing maybe the fish do not surface to be fished, or maybe the fishermen do not fish too much for the fear of spoiling the fish easily due to the heat.
You can serve this Prawn Stir Fry, Indian Style as an appetizer or simply serve it with some plain steamed rice and mango dal. This is so easy to make and absolutely delicious to eat. Just a few pointers.
Tips for how to clean the prawns / shrimps
- Remove the shell from the prawns if you have not got them done from the market. Just pull the head by twisting gently and remove it. Proceed to remove the rest of the shell by gently passing over your thumb. Be careful not to hurt yourself.
- Use a sharp knife to put a small slit on the back of the prawn. Using the knife or your fingertips, pull the vein.
- Repeat this process for the other vein on top as well. I prefer to put a small slit near the bottom of the prawn and gently pull the entire vein from there. The more fresh the seafood is, the more it is easier to clean.
- Rinse in cool water a couple of times.
- Apply turmeric, salt and vinegar to the prawn and wait for five minutes. Rinse this with water, drain and proceed to cook as per the recipe.
Let’s get started with the Prawn Stir Fry, Indian Style or Easy Prawns Fry
Prawn Stir Fry, Indian Style / Easy Prawns Fry
- 500 grams prawns cleaned
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- coriander leaves for garnishing
After cleaning the prawns, heat them in a pan till all the water dries up. Keep aside.
In a non stick pan, heat oil and add the ginger garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell vanishes from the ginger garlic paste.
Next add in the prawns and fry for a couple of minutes while stirring. Be careful not to burn the masala.
Add in the red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder and garam masala powder. Stir well. If necessary sprinkle some water. Fry till the masala is well incorporated and coated well with the prawns. It shouldn’t take that long to cook as the seafood gets cooked pretty fast.
Garnish with coriander leaves and lemon wedges before serving.
Signing off until next time,