Pottu Kadalai Urundai or the Dalia Ladoo is another tasty dessert recipe. Made with the roasted chana dal, it is also known as the putnala pappu ladu in Telugu.
In Tamil, it is known as the Pottu Kadalai Urundai. Just like the verkadalai urundai, this recipe also follows the same procedure. Instead of the peanuts, we just add the roasted chana dal here. And, yes, we do not need to peel the skin like the peanuts. The only difficult part in the peanut chikki is the roasting and the peel of the skin. Here, we do not have to do that.
This is a very tasty dish. Unlike the peanut chikki, this pottu kadalai urundai is not so common in the shops. The peanut chikki is more easily available. I have no clue why. I simply love this dalia ladoo compared to other varieties.
As kids we would make this easy peasy dessert during our summer vacation. The pottu kadalai and the jaggery combination has lot of fond memories for me. I am getting nostalgic drafting this post.
But let me not bore you much and get straight away to the recipe.
The most crucial part of this dish is the consistency of the jaggery syrup. You will need to form a ball when you drop the syrup in a bowl of water. Or you will have to attain the one string consistency.
It is quite difficult to explain the procedure and hence I have added a video link at the bottom of the post. Do check it out and do not forget to subscribe to my channel to keep getting the new videos as I upload.
So let’s just get started with the Pottu Kadalai Urundai, Dalia Ladoo, Putnala Pappu Ladu
What You Need:
- 1 cup pottu kadalai / dalia / roasted chana dal
- 1 cup jaggery
How To Make:
- Roast the dal lightly till slightly few of them change color. This is to get the perfect crispiness.
- Heat the jaggery with little water till it melts.
- Strain to remove any impurities.
- Again keep the syrup on heat till you can form a syrup ball in a bowl of water. Or you can get one string consistency. You can check out the video for better understanding at the bottom of this post.
- Add the dal in the syrup and cook for 1 or 2 more minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to a greased plate.
- Make small balls while they are still lukewarm.