Peanut Coconut chutney with step by step photos and video is a delicious chutney made with groundnuts. This is served with idli, dosa or pesarattu.
There are many variations of this chutney but the below recipe is the most basic version. You can tweak in your variations according to your family’s taste buds.
Benefits of peanuts
- Peanuts have good fat.
- They are a good source of protein, fiber, and nutrients.
- When consumed in moderation, they can be good for weight loss. Just be careful with the quantity as they are high in calories.
- Helps control hunger.
- It helps in reducing the risk of diabetes, gallbladder, and heart diseases
Can you eat the peanut skin
If you love them, then there is no reason why you should avoid the peanut skin. Apart from fiber, it has a lot of nutritional value. Most of the store-bought peanut butter will be made from blanched peanuts. But if you want to get the most benefit out of it, then it is best to prepare at home. And one of the several ways you can use them is by trying this peanut coconut chutney.
How to make the peanut coconut chutney
Making this peanut coconut chutney is pretty easy. All you have to do is roast the peanuts lightly. Allow them to cool before grinding them with coconut, garlic, green chili, salt, and tamarind. Finally, a tadka is prepared and poured over the prepared peanut coconut chutney for enhanced flavor and aroma.
Like the coconut chutney, you can serve the peanut coconut chutney with idli, dosa or even pesarattu for breakfast.
Variations of the peanut coconut chutney
- Omit the coconut and add onion in place of it. The onion is fried along with red chili and ground together with the roasted peanuts. That would give you a good red color to the peanut chutney without coconut.
- You can make this with store-bought shelled, skinless and roasted peanuts. But for best results, it is always better to roast the peanuts at home.
- Another variation would be frying the peanuts with onion and grinding it before adding the tadka to it.
- Add in more green chili or red chili for more spicy flavor.
There are many variations of this peanut coconut chutney and you can always tweak what your personal preference is accordingly.
Step by Step pictorial of the process
1. Dry roast the peanuts lightly till they turn crisp. Allow to cool.
2. Take the coconut, peanuts, green chili and garlic in a mixie jar.
3. Grind coarsely.
4. Once the peanuts are ground coarsely, add the soaked tamarind and salt.
5. Again, grind to make a fine paste. Set aside this chutney while you prepare the tempering.
6. For preparing tempering, add little oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds and cook till they splutter. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the curry leaves and dried red chili. Saute for 30 seconds. Remove from fire and add this tempering to the peanut coconut chutney. Serve with idli or dosa.
Peanut Coconut Chutney recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 1/2 cup coconut, cut into small pieces or grated
- a lemon size ball of tamarind, , soaked in water
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2-3 green chili
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 whole dry red chili
- 1 sprig curry leaf.
How To Make:
- Lightly roast the peanuts in a pan till the peanuts start browning. Allow to cool. The skin will start loosening once it cools down.
- Transfer the peanuts to a mixie jar and add the coconut, garlic, green chili. Grind coarsely.
- Now, add salt and tamarind. Grind to make a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds. When they start spluttering, add dry chili and curry leaves.
- Remove from fire and add this tempering to the ground paste. Serve immediately with idli, dosa, or pesarattu.
- Always allow to cool before grinding. You can also roast the peanuts beforehand and stock and use when needed.
- Thoroughly remove any impurities from the tamarind. As it is added raw, we have to be careful to remove any kind of impurities in it.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in April of 2015. New Image, Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.