Onion Raita recipe or the pyaz ka raita. A simple yogurt based dip which is a must for any type of biryani. No biryani is complete without this onion Raita.
Be it chicken biryani, mutton biryani or veg biryani, this raita is a must, to go along with it. This can also be served with pulaos or any other variety rice.
Raita is made in every household in a different way. Each has it’s unique taste and flavor to it.
The onion raita recipe for biryani or the pyaz ka raita is a pretty simple and quick to make dish. You can make this with the ingredients right in your kitchen.
Ingredients for onion raita
All you would need is some yogurt, onions, coriander leaves, cumin powder, and green chili. Yes, that’s it!! You do not need an ingredient over these items. Ok! Salt, of course. But then salt is understood that we need in every dish.
You can also add finely chopped tomatoes or cucumber to it if you wish.
For me, biryani is just so incomplete without this amazing onion raita recipe or the pyaz ka raita recipe. Even if there are other dishes like the bagara baingan recipe or the mirchi ka salan, I still crave for the onion raita recipe.
Time taken to prepare the onion raita
The fact is when there is such a simple accompaniment to serve along with biryani, we do not feel like making anything elaborate. It would hardly take 10 minutes to put this amazing pyaz ka raita together. Yes!! Just 10 minutes!!
Chop up the onion, coriander leaves, green chili, and you are all good to go. Easy and Tasty!! Can anything get better than this!!
Things to remember while making onion raita recipe:
- Always peel and wash the onion thoroughly before chopping them.
- Cut the green chili as finely as you prefer.
- Whisk the yogurt well before adding the other ingredients to avoid the curdling effect.
- You can also add tomato or cucumber to this raita.
- A pinch of chaat masala can be added for extra flavor too.
Step by step pictorial of making the pyaz ka raita
- Whisk yogurt well. Add the chopped onions, green chili and coriander leaves.
2. Next, throw in the roasted cumin powder and salt.
3. Mix well. Serve chilled or as it is along with biryani or pulao.
Let’s get started with the onion raita recipe for biryani or the pyaz ka raita
Onion Raita Recipe For Biryani, Pyaz ka raita
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 onion sliced finely
- 1 green chilli finely cut
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- Whisk the yogurt well. Take a bowl and add the yogurt to it. (wonderfulengineering.com)
- Mix together all the ingredients along with a little water, if necessary, and your raita is ready. Yes, that’s it, it’s as simple as that.
- You can also add in chopped tomato and cucumber.
- A dash of chaat masala can be added for that extra zing.
- Whisk your yogurt well before adding other ingredients.
The following are just estimates and not actuals:
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in March 2015. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.
Leave a Reply