Nadan Mutta Roast or the Kerala Style Egg Roast recipe – An Egg recipe which is a staple in the land of Kerala, mostly found on the breakfast table across the state.
It is a meal that is purely nostalgic for me. I always enjoyed Nadan Mutta Roast or the Kerala Style Egg Roast recipe as a child. And continue to do so until today. But frankly we didn’t call it with this name.
Honestly speaking I don’t make this Nadan Mutta Roast-Kerala Style Egg Roast recipe often enough. And I wonder why. Though it is very easy and simple to make, I still don’t make it all too frequently. Maybe that is the reason it has come so late into my blog even though I am a sucker for easy and quick recipes.
Caramelized onion infused with aromatic spices and a dash of tangy tomatoes make the base of this classic curry. The taste is so amazingly outstanding, that even those that do not eat eggs will be instantly lured into trying it and becoming egg-o-holic . The simple onion-tomato gravy is egg-cellent on its own.
Traditionally coconut oil is used to make this Nadan Mutta Roast-Kerala Style Egg Roast recipe. However, I use olive oil to the maximum in my cooking and limit the use of coconut oil for just that finishing touch. You can even use the sunflower oil if you prefer it for cooking. And of course you can control the spice level to stop your mouth lighting on fire.
Cooking onion until almost caramelized is the key to the appetizing reddish brown color and beautiful flavor. Add a bit of salt to help the onions cook faster and brown evenly.
A deliciously easy curry that goes well for breakfast, brunch or dinner. Eggs are a source of high proteins, vitamins, and minerals. And it is not called a super food without a reason.
For more egg recipes try out Easy & Quick Egg Masala Dry recipe-how to make dry egg masala Spicy Chettinad Egg Masala Curry Heart Shaped Egg in a Nest recipe Simple Egg Biryani Recipe-Hyderabadi Egg Biryani Recipe
Let’s get started with the Nadan Mutta Roast, Kerala Style Egg Roast recipe
Nadan Mutta Roast-Kerala Style Egg Roast recipe
- 4 - 5 eggs boiled and peeled / anda
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds / rai
- few sprigs of curry leaves / kadi patta
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste / adrak lahsun paste
- 1 green chilli minced / hari mirch
- 3 - 4 whole dry red chili / saabut lal mirch
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 2 medium onions finely sliced / pyaz
- 2 large tomato chopped / tamatar
- 1 tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- 1 tsp red chili powder / lal mirch powder
- salt to taste / namak
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to splutter add the cumin seeds, curry leaves and whole dry red chili.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till frangrant.
- Now stir the onions and green chillies and saute till golden brown in color.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till done and oil starts separating from the gravy.
- Mix in the turmeric and chilli powder and saute on high heat till it is nicely fried.
- Add salt and a cup of water. Cook till it comes to a boil.
- Now place the boiled eggs and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle in the garam masala powder and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.