السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Mutton Tahari recipe – Tehari recipe. A delicious one pot meal made with mutton and rice in aromatic spices.
Mutton Tahari recipe or the Tehari recipe is a very traditional and age old recipe. This is a one pot dish where everything is cooked in one pan unlike the biryani (unless, of course, it is not a kache biryani) where we cook the yakhni and the rice separately and then mix both together to give it a final “dum”. But in the Mutton Tahari recipe or the Tehari recipe, the yakhani is cooked and to this rice is added and cooked till perfection. When short on time, you can always opt for pressure cooker which drastically reduces the time and you get a wholesome meal and delicious flavor at short notice. We can also make the veg version of the Mutton Tahari recipe or the Tehari recipe by adding in veggies of your choice in place of mutton pieces. You can even find lot of different versions from different regions. And each is strikingly similar and yet so different. If you get what I mean. 🙂
This Mutton Tahari recipe or the Tehari recipe is simple process made with mutton, onion and tomato. I have not added the yogurt as I prefer to add it only for the biryani recipes. As I had guests at my home, I have added the basmati rice. But generally I make it with jeera kasala rice as I feel the Mutton Tahari recipe or the Tehari recipe tastes best with that variety of rice. Or you can even make it with the simple ponni rice too. If can even make this in a rice cooker, cooking the masala and adding everything in the rice cooker while it is time to add the rice. You can add the juice of lemon just before adding the rice. Serve it some mango pickle or raita.
Let’s get started with the Mutton Tahari recipe or the Tehari recipe
Mutton Tahari recipe-Tehari recipe
What You Need:
- 500 gms mutton pieces, cut into small pieces
- 2 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 green chili, slit in middle
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom
- 1 inch stick of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- mint and coriander leaves, for garnish
How To Make:
- Wash the rice and soak for half an hour.
- Heat oil in a large enough pan and fry the onions till translucent.
- Add the green chili, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and ginger garlic paste. Cook till the raw smell from the ginger garlic paste has vanished.
- Now add the mutton pieces and fry till water has evaporated and the mutton pieces browned.
- Add in the tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder. Add a cup of water and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes - till the tomatoes are cooked and mutton almost done.
- Now add 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice and cook on low flame until rice is done - about 15 minutes. Switch off the flame and do not open the lid for another 15 minutes.
The cooking time of the rice also depends on the rice, just ensure the right quantity of water.
For similar biryani or pulao recipes try Lucknowi Mutton Biryani Recipe-Awadhi Biryani
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.