Mutton Sukka Recipe or the Chettinad Mutton Sukka Varuval with step by step photos and video instructions is a delicious and amazingly spiced mutton fry recipe made with freshly ground spices and lamb meat. Like the Chettinad Mutton Varuval, this dish is special because of the spices in it.
What is Chettinad Mutton Sukka recipe?
If you have ever been to the South Indian State of Tamil Nadu. You would have definitely come across the Chettinad cuisine. And mostly Chettinad dishes resonate with the non-veg variety. This Chettinad Mutton Sukka Recipe just tops the list for it’s taste and flavor in the nonveg category. The ingredients are pretty easy to gather and the method is simple to follow. This is another of the gem from the South Indian Chettinad cuisine.
What is the best cut of meat to make this Chettinad Mutton Sukka?
The Chettinad mutton sukka tastes best with the boneless cut of lamb meat. But if you prefer to make this Tamil Chettinad dish with the bones in, you can very well do so too. Just remember to keep the mutton pieces small for this Tamil Nadu dish that they absorb all the spices in and gets fried properly. The huge chunks of meat wouldn’t taste or get cooked as well.
Does the Mutton Sukka recipe require marination?
The Chettinad mutton sukka recipe does not require any marination too. You can straight away make this dish as the mutton pieces are first cooked and the spices are later added and fried.
Pro Tips / Important Things to Remember while making this Chettinad Mutton Sukka recipe
Step by Step pictorial of making the Chettinad Mutton Sukka Recipe
1.Take a pressure cooker and add the mutton pieces in it. Add the ginger garlic paste, salt and sufficient water. Close the lid and cook until the mutton is done or for about 4-5 whistles.
2. Take the whole spices in a pan and lightly dry roast them until a nice aroma emanates from them. Remove from heat and allow the spices to cool completely.
3. Once the spices have cooled down, taken them in a mixie jar or in a coffee grinder. Grind to make a powder. Set aside this spice powder.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add green chili and onion. Fry until the onion turns translucent.
5. Next, add the spice powder to the onion and fry well for about 2 minutes.
6. Finally, add the cooked mutton pieces and fry really well till all the masala is coated to the mutton pieces. The mutton should have browned by then. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
Serve the Chettinad mutton sukka recipe hot garnished with coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
You can serve this as a side dish along with plain hot rice and pepper rasam.
For more mutton recipes:
How to make the Chettinad Mutton Sukka Recipe
Chettinad Mutton Sukka Recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 500 gms lamb pieces, preferably boneless pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 tsp fennel / saunf
- 2 tsp pepper / kali mirch
- 2 tsp jeera / cumin seeds
- 4 -5 whole dry red chili
- 2 - 3 green chili, cut into half
- 2 medium sized onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt , or to taste
How To Make:
- Add the mutton pieces with ginger garlic paste in a pressure cooker and cook till it is half done.
- Heat 1 tsp in a pan and lightly roast the cinnamon, cloves, fennel, peppercorns, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, whole dry red chili. Allow it to cool and grind this into a fine powder. Set aside.
- Now add the remaining oil in the same pan and add the green chili and onion. Fry until the onion is light brown in color.
- Now add the cooked mutton and fry till the mutton turns brown.
- Stir in the ground spice powder, salt and mix well. Add the grated coconut and little water. Cook till all the masala sticks to the mutton pieces and fry thoroughly.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and lemon wedges.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in March of 2016. Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding. The recipe has been made printable in December 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.