Chettinad Mutton Varuval Recipe or the Mutton Fry recipe in Tamil Style with step by step photos and video instructions is a very, very tasty mutton fry preparation and yet so amazingly simple. You can even try this with other meat too like the chicken. Like the Chettinad Mutton Masala, this dish is pretty simple to prepare.
What is Mutton Varuval?
Another mutton recipe from the Chettinad cuisine, this is very easy and tasty variation of the mutton fry. Varuval means fry in Tamil and it is a very popular style in South India. Chettinad cuisine is a very famous part of South India, and in this Chettinad Mutton Varuval Recipe or the Mutton Fry recipe in Tamil Style, the freshly ground pepper and cumin seeds add a unique flavor to the dish.
How to cook the chettinad mutton varuval recipe?
Not many spices are used for this recipe unlike the other Chettinad recipes It is more about the technique that we will use to make this Chettinad Mutton Varuval Recipe or the Mutton Fry recipe in Tamil Style which makes it so tasty. We first cook the mutton till done along with the ginger garlic paste. Then fry the onion and mutton thoroughly before adding the spices and fry to perfection. (Xanax)
The spicy Chettinad Mutton Varuval Recipe gives out a great taste like that of a sheek which makes this dish a favorite with kids too. You can always increase or reduce the amount of spice in it according to your family’s taste.
Pro Tips / Important things to remember while making this Tamil mutton fry recipe
Step By step Pictorial of making the chettinad mutton varuval recipe
1.Roast the cumin seeds, fennel seeds and pepppercorns in a pan lightly till a nice aroma emanates from them. The cumin seeds will start turning golden brown by this time.
2. Allow the spices to cool down completely. Take the cooled spices in a mixie jar or in a coffee grinder. Grind coarsely and set aside this spice powder till further use.
3. Start preparing the mutton now. You can either cook in a pressure cooker or directly on stove-top. Add the ginger garlic paste to the mutton, salt and sufficient water.
4. Cook until the mutton is almost done and all the water has dried up from it.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves, then add the sliced onion. Add salt and cook until onion is translucent. Do not fry until brown.
6. Next add in the cooked mutton and the spice powder.
7. Fry well for 5 minutes, till the mutton is fried and all the masala is coated to it. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Serve it hot drizzled with lemon juice.
More similar recipes:
- Andhra Mutton Fry
- Mutton Do Pyaza
- Methi Gosht
- Mutton masala
- Mutton keema
- mutton handi
- shami kabab
- yakhni soup
How to make the Chettinad Mutton Varuval Recipe or the Mutton Fry recipe in Tamil Style
Mutton Roast Recipe, Mutton Varuval Recipe
- 500 gms mutton pieces ( boneless or bone in)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 3 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds/saunf
Lightly roast the fennel seeds, cumin seeds and the black pepper corns. When they have cooled down, grind them to a fine powder either in a coffee grinder or a dry grinder.
Cook the mutton pieces with ginger garlic paste and water till almost done. Or alternatively, you can cook the mutton pieces in the pressure cooker till they are three-fourth done.
Dry up any water from the mutton.
Heat oil in a kadai and fry onion till translucent. Add the curry leaves and mutton. Fry till the mutton is cooked through and brown in color.
Stir in the ground spice powder and cook til it is well coated with the mutton.
Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and lemon.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in September of 2017. Step by step photos and video have been added for the better understanding of the users. The recipe has been made printable in November 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.