السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Mutton Pepper Fry recipe, kerala style. Learn how to make mutton pepper fry.
Mutton Pepper Fry recipe is a very tasty mutton recipe from the regions of South India. A famous kerala style recipe, the kerala style recipes are known for their mildness and amazing spices.
This Mutton Pepper Fry recipe in Kerala Style is inspired by the Keralite cuisine and pretty simple to make. The secret lies in the amazing spices which are freshly roasted and ground before adding it to the mutton and cooked. I use boneless meat pieces for this type of recipe, but you can even try this mutton chops or other cuts of the meat. But my personal favorite remains the boneless lamb pieces as they get cooked pretty fast too.
You will have to lightly roast the black pepper, whole dry red chili, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garam masala and then make a powder of it, and then make a paste of the onions and mix it together with the mutton pieces and then cook it till done or you can even pressure cook it to save some time. If your mutton is not so tender and takes quite some time to get cooked, then use the pressure cooker, but if you get very tender meat then definitely cook without the pressure cooker as the taste is just so amazing when cooked without it.
Kerala is known for it’s use of coconut, which is a proven when you order any kerala dish at the restaurant. But when you make the Mutton Pepper Fry recipe, kerala style at home, you can substitute the coconut oil according to your family’s preference and taste buds. Isn’t it just the best part when you cook it at home. You can always tweak and turn around the ingredients to suit your family’s preferences. You can even add some coconut paste towards the end if you really like it that way. But in this particular recipe I haven’t done so. The masala from the onion was sufficient for us and then it wouldn’t be a “fry” recipe anymore.
Let’s get started with the Mutton Pepper Fry recipe, kerala style
Mutton Pepper Fry recipe, Kerala Style
What You Need:
- 500 gms mutton pieces, boneless, cut into small pieces
- 4 tbsp edible cooking oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp black pepper corns
- 4 whole dry red chili
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 tsp shahi jeera
- 4 cloves
- Salt to taste
How To Make:
- Mix the mutton with ginger garlic paste while you prepare the other ingredients and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Lightly roast the cumin seeds, black pepper corns, whole dry red chili, coriander seeds, cinnamon, green cardamom and shahi jeera in a kadai on low flame. Switch off the flame when a nice aroma starts emanating from the spices. Allow it to cool down and dry grind to a powder and keep aaside.
- Now grind the onions into a paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan or pressure cooker, and add the onion paste and fry lightly.
- Mix in the mutton and fry till the mutton is brown in color.
- Add in the ground spices and salt and stir well. Add 2 cups of water and cook till the mutton is tender. Add more water if required.
- When the mutton is cooked, fry on high heat till all the masala is coated to the mutton pieces.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with some rice and dal or chapati.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more such recipes try out the following