Mutton Masala Recipe is a very simple and tasty mutton masala preparation made with lamb meat in a yogurt based sauce. The ingredients are pretty simple and the method easy to follow, but the taste is really lip smacking.
Mutton Masala recipe is one of my favorite dishes. Not only is it incredibly comforting but it is also really quick and simple to prepare. (Ambien)
When I think I have nothing in the house to make for dinner, I almost always end up making Mutton masala recipe as it goes very well with anything, be it plain rice, roti, naan or any other type of rice or bread.
Serve with Rice or Roti. The mutton masala tastes amazing with either. If you need to a milder version, you can always cut down on the amount of chili.
What is mutton masala
Making curries and playing around with all the spices used in Indian cuisine can be quite intimidating for those new to the cooking. But fikar not.
I was also like that when I started cooking. But now it looks like a breeze. Mutton masala is when you have gravy or curry along with the mutton. The dish is not dry. You can add in more yogurt or even tomatoes for more masala.
Choosing good quality chili is important
I simply love how the color turns out in this mutton masala recipe without the use of any artificial coloring. If you have good quality chili powder, it totally changes the color of the dish.
Things to remember while making the mutton masala
- Choose tender and a good cut of mutton for making this dish.
- You can also use the pressure cooker to tenderize the mutton.
- Wash the mutton with turmeric powder, wheat flour, and vinegar to remove raw smell it.
Step by step pictorial of making mutton masala recipe
- Heat oil in a pan and add mutton pieces and ginger garlic paste.
2. Fry till all the water is dried up from the mutton. Add onion and whole spices at this point and fry till onion is dissolved with the mutton.
3. Add spices, salt, green chili, and yogurt. Mix well. Add necessary water and cook covered. Alternatively pressure cook at this point.
5. Cook until mutton is tender. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves, mint leaves and lemon juice.
Mutton Masala Recipe, How to make Mutton Masala
- 500 gms mutton cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp oil
- whole spices (cardamom, cloves, cinnamon)
- 3 onions finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 – 3 green chili
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
Heat oil in a pan and add the mutton pieces & ginger garlic paste. Fry well till brown.
Now add the whole spices and onion. Fry the onion along with mutton till all the onion is thoroughly incorporated with the mutton pieces and dissolves.
Mix in the yogurt, green chili, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder, salt and cook till the oil starts separating from the gravy.
Add 2 cups of water and cook till done or pressure cook for 10 minutes. Adjust the water to your desired consistency.
Turn off heat and serve hot garnished with coriander and mint leaves if desired.
- Always choose good quality mutton. The tender the mutton is, faster it will cook.
- The cooking time will depend on the quality of the meat as well as the method of cooking. If you use the pressure cooker, it will cook faster.
- For best results, cook in earthenware on low heat.
- Always wash non veg with turmeric, wheat and vinegar to remove raw smell from it.
- Adjust water according to the consistency you desire.
- You can also make this with tomatoes.
The following are only estimates and not actuals:
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in December 2015. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018. No changes have been made to the recipe though.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.