السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Mutton Kofta Curry or the Indian Meatball Curry recipe, a delicious kofta curry made with mutton mince in succulent onion tomato gravy with aromatic Indian spices. The koftas will be soft on the inside when you follow the simple tip that I have provided in this post, in sha ALLAH.
There are actually two ways to make this mutton kofta curry or the Indian meatball curry recipe. One method was what my Ammi used to make. She would make typical Hyderabadi kofta curry. She used to fry the koftas and then add to the gravy. And often served with roti. That was the combination that we were used to. The kofta curry with roti.
But you can always eat it with rice or other forms of Indian bread too. The koftas will hold it’s perfect shape when cooked. Little crisp and brown on the outside and yet it used to be so soft that the moment we press the kofta, it will fall apart. Deliciousness at it’s best.
But, today, I am going to show you another version of the Hyderabadi kofta curry, how I make them ever since being here in Dubai. The mutton mince isn’t fried. We directly make the small round balls with the mutton mince and cook it in the gravy till done. You can refrigerate the mutton mince for some time for making the balls better.
You can make this with mutton mince too. However I have made the Mutton Kofta Curry or the Indian Meatball Curry recipe with boneless mutton pieces.
I like the texture that comes with the mutton pieces. Just remember to make the pieces really small for the proper processing. Otherwise it will become difficult to grind the mutton. You can even make it with beef mutton too.
As Hyderabad is pretty much famous for it’s mutton dishes and my heritage having a great influence on our day to day cooking, you will see a lot of hyderabadi dishes on my blog. Even though now that the Andhra and telangana has been separated, and hyderabad is no longer part of Andhra, still we are so used to using the words, Andhra and Hyderabad so interchangeably, it will take some time to get used to separate the dishes.
Let’s get started with the Mutton Kofta Curry, Hyderabadi or the Indian Meatball Curry recipe
Mutton Kofta Curry, Indian Meatball Curry recipe
What You Need:
- 500 gms mutton mince / small mutton pieces
- 4 - 5 cloves / laung
- 2 - 3 cardamom / elaichi
- 1/2 tsp whole black pepper corns / kali mirch
- 1 inch stick cinnamon / dal chini
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup cashew nuts
- 2/3 cup roasted chana dal
- 3 - 4 green chili
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 onions finely sliced
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 to matoes, blend into a puree
- salt to taste
How To Make:
- Dry grind the cloves, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon, cumin seeds and red chili flakes to a fine powder.
- Dry grind the cashew nuts and the roasted chana dal to a fine powder too.
- Mix the mutton mince with the spices powder, salt and the dal and cashew powder thoroughly.
- Put this mixture along green chili and coriander leaves in the food processor till well grounded. Do not skip this step even if you are using fine mutton mince. This is absolutely crucial to make the perfect delicious koftas.
- Add little water to the processed keema about 1/4 or 1/3 cup and mix well. They help to make the koftas soft.
- Refrigerate for half an hour. And make small lemon sized balls with it. You can grease your palms with oil.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions and 2 green chili till the onions are translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell has vanished.
- Now mix in the tomato puree, coriander powder, red chili powder, salt and turmeric powder and stir.
- Add in the kofta balls and cook on medium low flame till done and oil starts floating on the top. When you break the kofta, it should be cooked through inside and break easily.
- Serve hot garnished with lemon wedges, coriander leaves and onion.
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more such recipes try out the following