Mutton Handi recipe is a deliciously made lamb dish that is cooked in a handi or clay pot. Full of flavor and aroma, this is one mutton dish that you should not miss.
What is a handi
A handi is a wide-mouthed cooking pot that is generally used for cooking. Handi is a very popularly used utensil in Indian cooking. In ancient times, it was generally made of clay. But these days you find the handis in various other materials like copper, steel too.
Should you cook in a handi
If you ask me, then it is a BIG FAT, YES!!! The porous nature of the clay pot retains the nutrients of the food. That is something that is not possible with other utensils. It spreads the heat evenly which results in slow yet aromatic food. The taste that comes from cooking with earthenware is matchless.
Best way to make mutton handi recipe
The best way to make this mutton handi recipe is in a clay pot. It will have the most authentic and traditional taste. When you cook the mutton handi in an earthen utensil you will have an amazing taste and flavor.
Things to remember when making in a handi
- When you are using the clay pot for the first time, soak them in water for a couple of days. You can even soak it with discarded water after cooking rice.
- Remember to cook liquidy food for the first few time.
- Always cook on low heat to prevent burning the food.
- Switch off the heat a little before the complete time and close the lid. The clay pot stays hot even after switching off the heat and hence the food keeps getting cooked. Switch off just before it is done.
What to serve with mutton handi recipe
Mutton Handi can be served with Indian Breads / Rotis as well as steamed Rice or Khichdi. It also goes well with jeera rice, bagara rice or other rice varieties. There is no limit to the things that you can serve along with this mutton handi recipe.
Check out the step by step pictorial of mutton handi recipe
- Make a paste of tomato and green chili
- Add the spices and mix well. Set aside this tomato puree.
- Heat oil in a handi and add the whole spices. Saute for 30 seconds and add onions. Fry till onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell vanishes from it. Add the mutton pieces.
- Fry till water dried up and add the coriander powder. Cook until mutton browns.
- Next, add in the spiced tomato puree.
- Simmer on low heat and cook covered until mutton is tender and done.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Let’s get started with the mutton handi recipe
Mutton Handi recipe
- 500 gms mutton cleaned (learn how to remove raw smell from mutton)
- 4 tbsp oil or ghee
- 2 onion finely chopped
- whole garam masala 1 bay leaf, 1 inch stick cinnamon, 2 cardamon, 2 cloves, 1 teaspoon shahi jeera, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chili
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 4 tomato
- coriander leaves for garnishing
Preparing Spiced Tomato Puree
- Add tomatoes and green chili and blend into a paste.
- Add in the chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and garam masala powder. Mix well and set aside this spice tomato paste
Making mutton handi recipe.
- Heat oil in a handi and add the whole spices.
- Add onions and fry till translucent.
- Next, add in the ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell vanished from it.
- Throw in the mutton and saute till water dries up
- Add coriander powder and cook covered on low heat till mutton browns.
- Mix in the tomato paste and again cook on low heat till mutton is tender and thoroughly cooked.
- Finally, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot
- Whenever possible, use clay pot for authentic taste for this recipe.
- You can also use less oil if you prefer that way.
- Always cook on low heat.
- Cooking time will vary according to the quality of your meat. If the meat is tender, it will get cooked faster, if not then it will taste longer. Please adjust accordingly. You can add in water if necessary.
- If you are short on time you can also pressure cook this dish, but it won't taste the same.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in June 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New image, step by step photos, and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable and checkboxes added for following the steps easily in September of 2018
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org. Appreciate your help.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.