Mutton Handi Recipe or Handi Gosht recipe, Pakistani is a delicious curry made in a clay pot. A famous Pakistani dish, this curry will leave you asking for more.
For more similar recipes try the following
Handi is a clay pot used for cooking. And hence the name of the dish as such. It is pretty much common in the Asian cooking. In the days gone by, when there was no non-stick cookware, people would use this clay vessels for cooking. Now with the advent of so many variations in cookware, we have totally abandoned this age old tradition.
But if you do not have the handi at home, like me, do not worry. Make them in any pan that you have. Though I did have few clay pans with me, I have lost them all. So until I buy new ones, I will have to make do with other means.
So it is the non stick kadai for me in this recipe. The taste of the mutton handi recipe is still so amazing. I totally love the way this handi gosht recipe tastes.
You can even find another Indian variation of this restaurant style mutton handi on my blog. Today I will be showing you the Pakistani version of it handi gosht. Though both the dishes are strikingly similar, yet they both have their own unique way of cooking.
The method to make this mutton handi recipe, Pakistani is quite different from how you make other mutton curries. We first cook the mutton with onion, garlic and other spices till it tenderizes. Then add oil and tomatoes before adding in the freshly roasted powder. Unlike most of the curries, this mutton handi recipe, Pakistani does not require the use of ginger. We make the handi gosht without ginger and only garlic is used in it.
If you are short on time, you can even make it in a pressure cooker. But for best results, it is preferable to cook in a handi.
You can use any type of meat. You can use lamb or beef or even chicken. Just remember to cut the pieces really small to get it cooked perfectly.
The freshly ground spices make simply elevates this Mutton Handi Recipe, Pakistani to another level. When the handi gosht is getting cooked, your whole house will be engulfed in amazing aroma that, whoever enters your home would straight away head into the kitchen.
The roasted cumin, coriander seeds and the pepper corn powder blends so well with the curry, that it simply elevates this dish to altogether another level.
So let’s get started with the Mutton Handi Recipe, Handi Gosht recipe, Pakistani
Mutton Handi Recipe, Handi Gosht recipe
- 1 kg meat lamb/beef, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 pod garlic about 15 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 cardamom
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 green chilli
- 2 to matoes finely chopped
- coriander leaves to garnish
- Dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds. Grind them along with the pepper corns to a fine powder and set aside this powder.
- Take meat in a handi or pan. Add 1 cup of water, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sliced onion and garlic. Cover and cook on medium heat till the meat is tender.
- Add oil when the meat is tender and the onion and garlic has disappeared into the masala.
- Next throw in the whole garam masala (cardamom, cinnamon and cloves), green chilli, tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Cook till all the water has dried up and oil starts leaving the sides of the handi. At this point add, the ground powder.
- Stir, add coriander leaves and remove from heat.
Signing off until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org. Appreciate your help.