Mutton Do Pyaza or Ghost Do Pyaza Recipe is a mutton or lamb fry made with a lot of onions in it. Hence the name Mutton Do Pyaza.
This Mutton Do Pyaza or Ghost Do Pyaza Recipe calls for onions to be used in two batches. Once when you fry it in initial stages and second, when you add the onions in the end to give that crunchy flavor.
How to buy mutton:
- Check the color of the meat. If it is darker, it means that it is older. The lighter the color the younger the breed and fresher it is.
- Never buy packaged meat as most of the times, it contains preservatives and you will never know the freshness of the mutton. Always try to buy fresh meat.
- Every area has it’s own breed of sheep/lamb/goat. Try buying local meat or at least if it was slaughtered locally.
- Another factor to consider is the amount of fat in the mutton.
Types of lamb cuts to choose from:
Based on your personal preference you can choose any kind of mutton that suits you.
As my mutton/lamb pieces were very tender, I have cooked them without the use of a pressure cooker. But if your mutton / lamb pieces are not so tender or if you want to save some time, then feel free to use the pressure cooker if you wish.
But whenever you can, try to cook the mutton without the use of a pressure cooker. The taste is simply amazing when you cook on low heat in a pan. Apart from the taste, you will find that the mutton pieces will be intact and not overcooked.
The Mutton Do Pyaza or Ghost Do Pyaza Recipe, does not require a lot of ingredient list, but rather the main ingredient is the onion and more importantly is the method used for making this dish.
Serving suggestions for mutton do pyaza
Step by step pictorial of mutton do pyaja
- Fry onions with black peppercorns in oil. When the onion turns translucent, add the ginger garlic paste. Fry till raw smell vanishes from it.
2. Add the mutton pieces and fry well.
3. Next, throw in salt and other spice powders. Cook until mutton is done. Add water if necessary.
4. Mix in the second batch of onions.
5. Fry for a minute on high heat. Serve hot.
Let’s get started with the Mutton Do Pyaza, Ghost Do Pyaja Recipe.
Mutton Do Pyaza, Ghost Do Pyaza Recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
Ingredients required for Mutton Do Pyaza
- 500 gms mutton / lamb, cleaned and cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp whole black pepper
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 2 small sized onions, roughly chopped
How To Make:
Step 1: Cleaning and Washing the Mutton
- Clean the mutton pieces of excess fat and cut into small pieces. Add a tbsp of vinegar, 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of wheat flour to the mutton.
- Mix well and finally rinse it away thoroughly with water. This prevents the raw smell from the meat.
Step 2: Method for making the gosht do pyaza
- Heat the oil in the pan or dish, and add the finely sliced onions and black pepper. Fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and stir till the raw smell disappears from it.
- Then add the mutton pieces and fry till the mutton pieces turn golden brown in color.
- Add salt, coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chili powder with 1 cup of water.
- Fry until the water is evaporated from the mixture and the meat is cooked ( about 45 mins approximately depending upon the type of the meat ) If necessary add more water.
Step 3: Adding the second batch of onion
- Now add the remaining roughly sliced onions and fry for further 1 minute. Do not overcook the onions. Retain the crunchiness of the onions.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and lemon.
- Always clean the mutton thoroughly to remove any raw smell from it.
- Do not overcook the second batch of onion. We want them to retain their crunchy flavor. If you cook for long, it will turn soft.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in December 2015. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.