Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe is a simple one-pot rice dish that is made with rice and the moong dal.
This is a very unique khichdi which isn’t sticky. Very simple and yet so elegant, this dish is a savior when you do not have anything at home.
I have added the video recipe at the bottom for you. Do check it out and do not forget to subscribe to my channel.
Ingredients for moong dal khichdi
Made with the most basic ingredients, this moong dal khichdi recipe is truly a delight. All you need is basmati rice and moong dal. Rest are basic ingredients that are right in your kitchen.
Few things to remember
You can make the moong dal khichdi rice with either basmati rice or the normal rice. It tastes best with both. However, do not skip the ghee. The ghee totally elevates the flavor and enhances it’s taste like no other ingredient.
You can even prepare the khichdi in the rice cooker. All you will have to do is simply make the masala, and simply add it to the rice cooker along with rice.
Serving the moong dal khichdi
You can prepare this dish when you have sudden guests at home and you are at a loss what to cook. Simply whip up some khichdi in no time at all and serve it along with some mint chutney and some papad. You can even serve with some Chicken Korma or Mutton Korma.
Benefits of moong dal
Moong dal is packed with protein and low carbs. It is one of the vegan superfoods which is low in glycemic index. Moong dal supports maintaining fat, glucose and sugar levels in our body. So do not forget to include this rich dal in your diet.
Step by step pictorial of the recipe
Heat oil and ghee in a pan and add onion and green chili.
Fry until the onion turns golden brown.
Add turmeric powder.
Next add sufficient water, salt and mint leaves. Bring it to a boil and add the soaked basmati rice. When water starts boiling again, add the moong dal.
Cook on high heat till water is absorbed. Cover and cook on simmer for about 15 minutes. Switch off the flame, let it rest for 10 more minutes before serving hot.
So let’s get started with the Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe, How to make Moong Dal Khichdi
Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe, How to make Moong Dal Khichdi
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 3 cups basmati rice (600 gms), soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 cup moong dal (150 gms), soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- whole garam masala, 1 inch stick cinnamon, 3 cardamom, 3 cloves
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup mint leaves
How To Make:
- Heat oil and ghee in a large pan. Add the garam masala, onion and green chili and fry till the onion turns translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Next add in the turmeric powder, salt and 6 cups of water. Be careful with the water as we do not want soggy rice. You can add in more water if necessary depending upon the quality of your rice.
- Bring the water to a boil and add in the mint leaves and soaked rice.
- When the water starts boiling again, add the moong dal.
- Cook on high heat till water is reduced and rice has puffed.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, wait for 10 more minutes before serving hot.
- Soak the basmati rice and moong dal separately for 30 minutes.
- Adding the mint leaves gives a good flavor and aroma to this dish, so do not skip it.
- You can make the moong dal khichdi in a rice cooker as well. Fry the onions and add the masala to the rice cooker with water.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in May 2017. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018. No changes have been made to the recipe though.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.