Mix Dal Tadka recipe with step by step pictures and video is a simple and delicious dal recipe which you can serve along with roti or rice or even moong dal khichdi. The Mix Dal Tadka recipe is an amazing four dal combo.
For more similar recipes try the following
What is Mix dal tadka
It is nothing but a combination of various dals or legumes for making a tasty dal dish. And as the name suggests, you have cook the dal and give a good tempering with desi ghee. The tempering with the desi ghee is what makes all the difference in this mix dal tadka recipe.
How many dals are needed for making the mix dal
The Toor Dal, the Chana Dal, the Masoor Dal, and the Moong Dal are all added in this recipe. You get all the nutrients and goodness of all the dals that are used in daily cooking. The four dal combination is truly yummy and tasty. You can also add other dals if you fancy. There are no hard and fast rules. But the above four dals are the standard that are used for the mixed dal tadka.
The mix dal tadka is not only tasty but also very easy to make. If you do not have one or the other dal at home, you can omit that. But for best flavors and taste, it is best to use all the four dals for the mix dal tadka recipe.
Important things to remember while cooking
- The Chana Dal or the bengal gram takes a little longer to cook than the other dals. Hence we will soak the chana dal more than the other lentils. Cook the mixed dal as per the time required for the chana dal.
- Use fresh butter and desi ghee if possible. You can buy the butter and the desi ghee from the local vendor if that is easy for you to find. But if you do not have access to it, then you can very well use the packaged ones. But try to avoid the packaged food as much as possible. Nothing is as good as the fresh, home made food.
- You can cook the mix dal tadka recipe without the pressure cooker. That would give it the best taste. But if you are short on time you can always use the pressure cooker.
The smell and aroma that emanates from the fresh stuff is simply beyond words. It is always better to source for local vendors. And it is not so hard finding them in India. I agree, it is not so easy but it is not impossible as well. If we look around, we will definitely find the yummiest, organic, and fresh food possible.
You can not only serve it with roti but with rice as well. That is the best part of making this delicious recipe. Serve it for lunch or dinner with some jeera rice, plain roti, or even green peas pulao.
Always serve it hot.
Step by Step Pictorial for Mix Dal Tadka Recipe
1.Cook all the soaked dals along with tomato, salt and turmeric powder in a pressure cooker. Once the dal is cooked, mash it and add butter, coriander leaves and required water. Bring it to a boil.
2. In a kadai, heat ghee. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, dry red chili, garlic and onion. Cook till the onion is browned.
3. Add this tempering to the boiling dal. Cover with a lid and remove from heat. Serve hot along with rice or roti.
So let’s get started with the Mix Dal TadkaRecipe, How to make Mixed Dal Recipe
Mix Dal Tadka Recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup chana dal / bengal gram
- 1/4 cup masoor dal / split red lentils
- 1/4 cup toor dal / split pigeon peas
- 1/4 cup moong dal / split green gram
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves / cilantro / hara dhaniya
- 2 tbsp clarified butter / ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 2 - 3 whole dry red chili
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 7 - 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
How To Make:
- Soak the chana dal for 2 hours and rest of the dals for half an hour.
- Take a pressure cooker and add all the four dals.
- Add turmeric powder, tomatoes, green chilli and salt and sufficient water. Close the lid and cook till the dals are cooked.
- Open the lid and mash with a dal masher.
- Add butter, coriander leaves and water as required.
- Bring to a boil.
For the Tadka
- Heat ghee in a kadai. Add the mustard seeds and wait till it splutters.
- When the mustard seeds starts spluttering, add cumin seeds, whole dry red chili, curry leaves and garlic. Fry for a minute.
- Add the onions and cook till the onion turns golden brown.
- Add this tadka to the boiling dal. Remove from heat and serve hot with rice or roti.
- You can also cook this recipe without the pressure cooker for best taste and flavor.
- If you do not have any dal, then you can omit it.
- You can add in green chili if you want for more spicy flavor. Add them when you boil the dal.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in February of 2017. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.