Methi Gosht recipe, hyderabadi – How to make methi gosht recipe / fenugreek leaves cooked with mutton / lamb pieces with step by step instruction and video for methi gosht
Spiced mutton curry with methi leaves is a unique and often made dish at my home. It is a very popular dish of both the Indian and Pakistani cuisines. You will find this methi gosht recipe, hyderabadi made a lot of times in the households of both of the countries.
Hyderabadi Methi Gosht recipe is a lovely combination. The unique taste of mutton and a slightly bitter taste of methi leaves, gives this dish a flavorful taste.
What is methi
Methi is nothing but fenugreek. It is both used interchangeably for fenugreek seeds and fenugreek leaves. In this recipe, we are referring to methi leaves as the methi.
Methi leaves are pretty to easy to grow. Just sprinkle some methi seeds in a pot or garden. Cover loosely with soil. Water it regularly, and you will find it that it has sprouted just within a week. It doesn’t require much care.
How to reduce bitterness of methi leaves
If the fenugreek leaves / methi leaves you get are too bitter, then just sprinkle some salt and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes. Squeeze the methi leaves and then rinse them in water as usual. This helps to reduce the bitterness from the fenugreek leaves.
There is definitely a unique taste to this dish which never tired you from making again and again.
Variations of making the methi
You can try making them with different varieties like with potatoes, which I have shared on my blog, aloo methi gosht recipe, or just omit the mutton from it and make a delicious aloo methi recipe.
You can even try it with keema, like the methi keema recipe . Or even better why not try these wonderful methi leaves loaded with nutrients with your favorite meat, the chicken and make it into a methi chicken recipe.
You will find lots of methi recipes on my blog and you will continue to find them in future too, in sha ALLAH. This is one of the most loved green leafy veggie.
You can have this dish with some simple mix dal tadka and rice or it even tastes great with roti / chapati or any kind of Indian bread. This dish just tastes amazing with anything and everything.
Let’s start our pictorial for methi gosht recipe
- Fry onion in oil till translucent. Next add in the ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell vanishes. Throw in the spices.
2. Add tomato and stir.
3. Add the mutton pieces and cook till the mutton is done.
4. Finally, add the methi leaves and cook until done. Your delicious methi gosht recipe is ready to serve.
Method for making methi gosht recipe, hyderabadi
Hyderabadi Methi Gosht recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 250 gms mutton, cut into small pieces
- 2 bunches methi/fenugreek leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
How To Make:
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and saute the onions till translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for further 1 minute till the raw smell vanishes.
- Add the mutton pieces and cook till all the water has evaporated.
- Mix in the spices of turmeric, chili powder, tomato and coriander powder. Add 1 cup of water and close the pressure cooker with the lid. Cook for 4-5 whistles or till the mutton is tender.
- Allow the pressure cooker to cool down and steam to escape. Add the methi leaves and cook till the leaves are tender and change colour completely.
- Your delicious methi gosht recipe is ready to serve
- You can also cook this dish without the use of pressure cooker for best flavor and taste. The stovetop variation will require more time depending upon the quality of your meat.
- Clean the mutton with turmeric powder, wheat flour and vinegar to remove the raw smell from it.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in April 2015. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.