Masala Dosa Recipe with step by step pictures and video. If you are even tiniest bit familiar with Indian Cuisine, you MUST have heard of masala dosa recipe for sure. It is more of South Indian cuisine, but relished through out the country or rather the world.
Have you been to any Indian Restaurant and searched for the masala dosa recipe on the menu? There will hardly be any Indian restaurant that serves typical breakfast and doesn’t serve this amazing delicacy along with medu vada.
Potato filling is very important part of the masala dosa
A lot of the restaurants will offer their own variations to the potato filling or the poriyal but the method and the technique will be the same. Make the dosa, add in the poriyal.
The taste would differ for the poriyal and that would make or break of the dish. I have found that some restaurants serve too runny poriyal. Or some would make the dosa too soft which would become soggy when the potato filling is added.
Hence making the perfect potato is very important for making the perfect masala dosa.
Nothing can beat a perfect poriyal inside the perfectly crisp dosa. Who would need any chutney or sambar to go with it when you have the perfectly cooked potato filling in it.
Making dosa batter
- Soak 3 cups idli rice and 1 cup urad dal at least for 6 hours.
- Grind to make a fine batter.
- Leave it to ferment overnight or at least 6 hours till it rises.
- Add salt and a pinch of baking soda to the fermented batter.
- Mix well, add water if necessary to a thick running consistency.
- Proceed to make dosa as per procedure.
Things to remember while making this masala dosa
- You can add 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds while soaking the rice and dal.
- Also, you can add 2 tbsp of cooked rice while grinding the batter.
- You can also make the dosa batter with rice flour.
- Do not make the potato poriyal runny. That would make the dosa soggy.
- Always serve hot for perfect taste.
- You can serve the masala dosa with coconut chutney and sambar too.
Masala dosa is
- Incredibly tasty.
- Heavy and filling.
- Perfect to serve your guests.
- Easy to make yet elegant to present.
Step by Step pictorial
- Heat oil and add the whole spices.
2. Once the garlic turns brown, add the onion and fry until golden brown in color.
3. Add in the turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
4. Add boiled and mashed potato and mix well. Set aside this potato poriyal
5. Spread dosa batter in hot tava. Drizzle oil. Cook on low heat till it starts browning.
6. Place the potato poriyal in the middle, fold over the dosa and serve immediately.
Let’s get started with the masala dosa recipe, how to make masala dosa recipe
Masala Dosa recipe
- 2 large potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp chana dal
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 whole dry red chili
- few curry leaves
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- dosa batter
- oil for drizzling
Preparing Potato Poriyal
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, add the cumin, red chili, curry leaves, urad dal, chana dal.
- Fry for a minute, add the onion. Fry the onions till brown, add the salt and turmeric.
- Add boiled and mashed potatoes, mix well. Add little water if necessary
- Stir well until well combined and remove from fire. Set aside this potato poriyal.
Preparing masala dosa
- Heat a tawa, and splash little water on it. Spread the dosa batter on it. Drizzle some oil.
- Cook till the dosa turns brown. Place some potato poriyal in the middle and fold over.
- Serve the masala dosa recipe hot.
- The cook and prep time excludes the dosa batter preparation time. You can also try it with readymade dosa batter.
- Drizzling water before adding the dosa batter makes spreading easier.
- When you are spreading the batter, try doing it quickly. If the tawa gets too hot, it will be difficult to spread.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in May 2016. Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.