السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Mango Dal recipe, Mamidikaya Pappu Recipe, Mangai Paruppu. Learn how to make the delicious and simple dal made with green mango.
With the mango in season, I just need reasons to use mangoes as much as possible. Well, once the season goes, I would have to wait a year to taste them again. And this mango dal recipe or the mamidikaya pappu recipe is simply out of the world. It is absolutely fantastic. Mamidi Kaya means the Green Mango in Telugu or Mangai in Tamil. And hence the title for this recipe.
Since the mangoes are readily available in the market, do not miss this chance to make this mango dal recipe or the mamidikaya pappu. As my hubby dearest hails from Andhra, he is pretty fond of this dal. It is always a mix and match of cuisines in my home.
As I have my roots in Andhra, my dad’s hometown being from there and was born and brought up in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, there is always a dose of both the Tamil and Telugu cuisine in my kitchen. And not to forget that that ever since I came to Dubai, there is always a Pakistani and Arabic flavors as well.
But predominantly it is the Tamil and Andhra cuisine that is widely made in my home more often than others.
Pretty simple to make, all you have to do is boil the dal and mango. Do the tempering and add on to the dal or pappu. It is one of the favorite dal recipes during the mango season in Andhra as well as Tamil Nadu. As we do not get the mangoes during other seasons, the people of Andhra and Tamil Nadu wait for the mango season to make this amazing Mango Dal recipe, Mamidikaya Pappu Recipe, Mangai Paruppu
Recently the video bug has bitten me and I have been going ga ga over making videos. I am thoroughly enjoying making the videos. There are becoming much easier to explain the steps.
Previously I used to struggle to take the step by step pictures and fail to express in words what exactly I mean. Now with the videos you can even have a visual about the recipes.
Don’t worry, it’s not gonna take up much of your time, as I am making it short and simple. So you can have a quick look at the steps and not worry about spending long time on it. You can check the video recipe here.
I know, I am still an amateur at making the videos, but then, everyone starts somewhere, and hope I take some decent videos some day.
Coming back to the mango dal recipe or the mamidikaya pappu or the mangai paruppu, I have made this with toor dal / kandi pappu / thuvaram paruppu but you can even make it with any other dal of your choice. Masoor dal, chana dal or moong dal.
This time I am posting with toor dal but even I make this mango dal recipe or the mamidikaya pappu with different dals. The first favorite being toor dal / kandi pappu / thuvaram paruppu, followed closely by moong dal, and then masoor and chana dal in that order.
Let’s get started with the mango dal recipe or the mamidikaya pappu
Mango Dal recipe, Mamidikaya Pappu Recipe, Mangai Paruppu
- 1 cup toor dal
- salt to taste
- 1 cup green mango cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 2 whole dry red chili
- 1 sprig of curry leaf
- 1 onion sliced
- Wash and soak the toor dal for half an hour.
- Add dal and salt with sufficient water in a pressure cooker and cook till the dal is done.
- Allow the cooker to cool on it's own before releasing the steam and lightly mash the dal.
- Add the cut mango pieces and turmeric powder and cook for a couple of whistles. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure cooker to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds till they splutter.
- Add the cumin seeds, whole red chili, curry leaves and onion. Fry till the onion is golden brown in color.
- Add the cooked dal to this tempering and adjust the amount of water in it according to your preference. You can add more water if you like thin gravy or less water if you like thick consistency.
- Bring to a boil and switch off the flame. Serve hot with rice.
For video recipe check below
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more such recipes try out the following