Lemon Rice recipe, எலுமிச்சை சாதம் – one of the most popular and often made rice recipe in South India. A rice dish that was regular in my home during my childhood.
Ammi used to pack it for lunch along with some boiled egg and this lemon rice was my favorite rice variety unlike others who could get bored out of eating it again and again. I simply loved it and still do.
The lemon rice or yelumichai saadam as it is known in tamil is definitely one of the rice varieties that I make often at home as even my kids are quiet fond of it.
Lemon rice or yelumichai saadam is called as such as they are sour in taste because lemon juice is used to prepare them. Apart from that another distinct feature is its very beautiful looking yellow color which it gets from use of turmeric in it.
You can make lemon rice, yelumichai saadam with freshly cooked rice or even with left over rice. The peanuts and cashew adds crunch to this sour and aromatic rice recipe.
This lemon rice can be made as a tiffin box or as a picnic lunch. It’s a pretty light dish and you can have it as a light breakfast also. It is best for making optimal use of the leftover rice.
There is always something satisfying about a dish that is made from scratch or leftover food.
Serve it with some mango pickle and papad for the ultimately easy meal.
For more such recipes try Tawa Pulao Recipe-How to make Tawa Pulao Jeera Rice Recipe-how to make jeera rice recipe-indian cumin rice Keema Matar with Corn Pulao Simple Egg Biryani Recipe-Hyderabadi Egg Biryani Recipe
Let’s get started with how to make lemon rice recipe, yelumichai saadam
What You Need:
- 6 tbsp lemon juice, add or reduce according to your taste preference
- 3 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts
- few sprigs of curry leaves
- 2 whole dry red chili
How To Make:
- Spread the cooked rice in a broad plate and allow it to cool it off.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to sputter add the chana dal, peanuts and cashew and fry for a while till they changes its color to golden brown.
- Now add the whole dry red chili, curry leaves and then add the turmeric powder and remove from flame. To this add the cooked rice, salt and stir the rice gently to avoid smashing of rice.
- Finally add the lemon extract and adjust the salt and gently mix the rice
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.