Lazy Daisy Stitch is also known as the detached chain stitch. It is a simple form of chain stitch but not continuous. The chains are detached and generally used to make beautiful flowers.
The other name for this stitch is ‘detached chain stitch’. That is because the chain loop can be made separately on its own and it is not linked like a chain. The most common design that is made with this stitch is that of a daisy and hence has got popular with the name lazy daisy.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED?
- Any fabric.
- Embroidery hoop, 15cm (6″) (Bigger if you are working on a larger design) ( You can purchase a set of 6 hoops from Amazon for your basic needs.)
- Tapestry needle
- Embroidery thread (You can buy this pack of 36 shades of the DMC embroidery floss.)
HOW MANY STRANDS OF FLOSS SHOULD I USE FOR MAKING THE LAZY DAISY STITCH?
In basic embroidery patterns, you will need 6 strands of floss. Depending upon the type of design and thread you are using, you can adjust your number of strands. For the below pictorial I have used all 6 strands of floss.
Step by Step Pictorial Process of making the lazy daisy stitch
1. Start by inserting the needle from beneath the fabric at point A. Bring the needle up along with the thread
2. Then again insert the needle at Point A and point B at the desired distance from above while keeping the floss underneath the needle as shown above in the picture.
3. Gently pull the needle up along with the thread. Be careful not to tighten it too much. Keep the loop little loose to form a chain.
4. Push the needle outside the loop at point C and take down the thread.
5. Repeat the process like the first petal and work on rest of your petals as your design.
Tips for working the detached chain stitch.
- Always keep the loop little loose and do not pull the thread fully. It will end up messy.
- You can finish the lazy daisy flower with a french knot for the perfect finish.
- Making a circle and working on its circumference will ensure a perfect lazy daisy.
What is this stitch used for?
- You can make beautiful and colorful flowers and leaves with this stitch.
- If you learn this stitch, there is no limit on how you can use this stitch. From frocks to quilts to cushion covers, you can work this stitch on almost anything on everything.
- You can fill the center with french knots for a beautifully finished flower.
- Silk thread can be used and beautiful design can be made using this stitch for a wedding and party dress.
More stitches tutorials:
Check out the video below for the lazy daisy tutorial
So until next time,
Pin this image for later reference: