Kesar Peda Recipe with step by step photos and video is a delicious and easy dessert which gets ready in no time at all. It is made from mawa or khoya just like the Doodh Peda, with a dash of saffron for elevating the taste, color and flavor. This instant kesar peda recipe is truly a winner.
What is instant kesar peda?
Instant Kesar Peda is nothing but a dessert that is made with kesar and mawa. As it is made with mawa, it gets ready with short amount of time. The pedas can be made into any shape that you like. It is so easy that you will find it making it again and again.
What is kesar?
Kesar is nothing but saffron in Hindi. It is a very popular and pretty costly spice that is used in a variety of recipes. The kesar is extracted from a flower, Saffron Crocus. It is like threads and generally used as a coloring or seasoning agent.
What is kesar good for?
Saffron is known for it’s medicinal properties. It is used for treating sleep problems, gas troubles, fighting cold, among a host of other diseases. So including kesar regularly in your diet can have a great benefit to your health.
What is mawa?
Mawa is solidified milk. The milk is cooked on low heat and stirred frequently to make a thick, solid mass. The mawa is also called khoya. Both mawa and khoya are same.
Can I make mawa at home?
Yes, you can make mawa or khoya at home. It is a lengthy process and time-consuming process. The milk is cooked while stirring frequently for a long time on low heat. You have to cook till all the milk is dried up and only the milk solid is left. Most of the desi sweet shops sell the mawa or khoya. So you can also purchase from them.
How to check if the kesar peda is done?
It is very easy to make this instant kesar peda recipe. When you first start cooking, the mawa and sugar would melt and become liquid. Then it will start hardening up quite quickly. When the mixture becomes a lump around the spoon, turn it off. Do not cook further.
Why has my peda turned hard after cooling?
If your pedas are turning too hard, that means you have cooked it for too long. Remove from heat as soon as it starts lumping around the spoon. If you cook further, it will change it’s color and become hard upon cooling.
How long to knead the mawa mixture?
Just a couple of minutes would be fine to knead this mawa mixture after cooking. The more you knead, the softer it will become. But if you knead for too long, it will cool down and will be difficult to make the pedas.
Pro Tips / Important Points to Remember
Step by Step Pictorial of making the instant kesar peda recipe
- First, start by adding the khoya and sugar in a pan. For best results, take a non stick pan. It will be easier to cook without burning. The mixture will not stick to the bottom.
2. Cook until the sugar has dissolved. You will notice that milk will start dissolving from the mawa too. That is perfectly normal and there is no necessity to worry about it. At this stage add the saffron strands that are soaked with milk. Mix well and add crushed cardamom.
3. Once all the ingredients are added, all you have to do is keep stirring. Do not leave the kesar peda mixture unattended as it will easily burn the bottom.
4. You will notice that the mixture will start hardening pretty fast. Keep stirring continuously till it forms a lump around the spoon. You can check out my video recipe that is included in this post for better understanding. Remove from heat once it starts forming a lump. Do not overcook as it will turn very hard.
5. Add ghee and knead while it is still warm. The kneading will help get the peda it’s soft and smooth texture. Once the kneading is done, take a small ball of the mawa mixture, and knead it further between your palms. Make any desired shapes with it. You can also roll it with the help of a rolling pin and cut them into squares or diamond shapes. Allow to cool to room temperature and serve garnished with any nuts or raisins.
Serve it at room temperature.
This is a great dessert to serve at any parties, festivities or celebrations.
More dessert recipes:
How to make the Instant Kesar Peda recipe
Kesar Peda Recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 250 gms khoya or mawa, room temperature
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 15 to 20 saffrom strands soaked in little warm milk for half an hour
- 1 tsp crushed cardamom
- 1 tbsp ghee
How To Make:
- Take the khoya or mawa in a pan. Add the sugar and cook till the sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, the khoya would have melt as well. Add the saffron milk. Mix well.
- Add crushed cardamom and cook till the mixture forms a lump.
- Transfer to a plate and add ghee. Once it has cooled down a little, kneed for 2 minutes. This will help to get the smooth texture.
- Take lemon sized balls and make it into any desired shape.
- You can add in any toppings that you prefer.
- Do not overcook or undercook the mawa.
- The kesar peda stays good for up to a week in an air tight container.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in April 2017. New, Image, Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.