السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Kerala Style Chicken Curry Recipe– One of the very famous chicken curries all over India, this dish is made with few spices and fresh coconut milk. Pretty awesome to taste and easy to make, this kerala style chicken curry recipe is very unique in taste.
As most of the purely traditional kerala style recipes are made with coconut oil, I have stuck to it and made this chicken curry with coconut oil too.
The warm aromatic spices and the flavorful coconut make this dish a delight to eat with roti, nan, chapati, idiyappam, appam, plain steamed rice or even tomato rice. The kerala style chicken curry just tastes so awesome with anything and everything. I can think of dozens of ways to relish this dish.
Staying in Dubai, with a lot of Keralites here, it is only natural that I can get the recipe from the most authentic source. One of the many advantages of being in Dubai, I guess.
You can adjust the quantity of gravy in the kerala sytle chicken curry by adding or drying up the coconut. I like to keep a good amount of gravy in it as the gravy tastes just so tasty. I love the gravy more than the chicken in this dish. I think the gravy is the reason why it is very big hit with the kids too.
Let’s get started with the kerala style chicken curry recipe right away
Kerala Style Chicken Curry Recipe-Kerala chicken curry with coconut
- 1 chicken cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 medium sized onions finely sliced
- 8 to 10 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped or grated
- 2 green chilies slit in middle
- 3 tbsp corriander powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 300 ml freshly squeezed coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds dry roasted and powdered
- Salt to taste
- curry leaves few sprigs
- coriander leaves/cilantro for garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan/wok add the garlic and ginger, fry for few minutes till lightly brown in color.
- Add the sliced onions, green chilies and fry till the onions are lightly browned.
- Now add the turmeric, coriander powder, red chili powder to the onions with few tbsp of water and fry at-least 8 minutes till the oil separates from the mix, this step is very crucial for proper flavor. Do not skip this.
- Now add the chicken pieces and fry for few more minutes till all the water is dried up from the chicken.
- Add the garam masala, fennel powder and salt and stir well to incorporate all the masalas.
- Now first take few tbsp of coconut milk dilute with 1/2 cup of water and add to the chicken masala. Cook till the chicken is cooked or about 15 minutes.
- Now add the rest of the coconut milk and the curry leaves.
- Simmer on low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes with the lid closed. Switch off when it has boiled well and all the raw smell from coconut milk has disappeared.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves/cilantro
Until next time,
Help us provide you with more recipes by sharing this recipe with your friends. Please don’t forget to like and comment if you enjoyed this post.
For more similar recipes see Chettinad Mutton Curry Recipe-How to make recipe of chettinad mutton masala Spicy Chettinad Egg Masala Curry Chicken Chukka Recipe-How to make Chicken Chukka Traditional & Authentic Chicken Korma Curry