Kerala Fish Fry recipe or Meen Varathathu with step by step photos and video instructions. A staple dish from the famous state of Kerala, this fish fry is pretty simple to make with the ingredients that you can find right in your kitchen like the Indian Fried Fish.
What is Kerala Fish Fry?
It is a delicious and spicy fish fry from the regions of Kerala. Kerala is a South Indian state. Trust me when I tell you that most of the Kerala people cannot live without fish. It is a very integral part of the Malayali cuisine. I am in no way exaggerating. You can ask any Keralite if you want. I have heard that they eat it as an everyday meal except on occasions when the red meat or the chicken is cooked which is considered special. It is no surprise that their skins are glowing. There is no contest with the health benefits of eating the fish among all the non-vegetarian stuff.
What are the ingredients required for preparing the Kerala Style Fried Fish recipe?
This is made with very basic ingredients. A paste is prepared using red chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, black pepper powder, ginger garlic paste, and coconut oil. The fish is coated well with it and then marinated for some time. The coconut oil is heated and mustard seeds and curry leaves are added to it. And finally, the marinated fish is fried to perfection.
Which oil is best to prepare the Fried Fish in Kerala Style?
For the most authentic taste, use coconut oil for frying. But you do not have any, you can also use other oils like the mustard oil, sesame oil or refined sunflower oil.
Is marination time must for preparing the Kerala Fish Fry recipe?
Though it is not a must, marinating the fish makes the masala get absorbed into the fish well and makes the fish really very delicious.
is making the Kerala Fish fry recipe difficult?
This Meen Varathathu recipe is a very simple dish to try. It is very, very easy to make this dish.
What type of fish tastes best with kerala fried fish?
You can make this kerala fish fry recipe or otherwise known as the meen varathathu recipe with any type of fish. I have used the “Barracuda” variety in my recipe. You can also use other varieties like the King Fish, Lady Fish, Catla, Roohu or any fish that your family prefers.
Pro Tips / Important Points to remember while making the kerala fried fish recipe
Step By Step Pictorial Process of making the Meen Varathatu
1. Take a bowl and add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, black pepper powder, ginger garlic paste, salt, cumin powder, and coconut oil.
2. Mix well to make a paste.
3. Take the fish slices and coat them with the masala nicely.
4. Set these coated fish pieces in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
5. Heat coconut oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the curry leaves.
6. Next, add the marinated fish and cook covered until the fish turns brown on one side.
7. Flip the fish slice to the other side and fry covered until the fish turns golden brown in color on both the sides. Serve hot immediately.
Serve the Kerala style fried fish immediately with onion rings, lemon wedges, and green chili.
With Kerala being a rice consuming State, this Kerala Fish Fry recipe is just so perfect as a side dish with rice and any gravy.
More similar recipes:
- Indian Fried Fish
- South Indian Fish Curry
- Fish Biryani
- Prawn Pepper Fry
- Indian Prawn Curry
- Prawn Biryani
- Fish Fingers
Let’s learn how to make the Kerala Fish Fry recipe
Kerala Fish Fry recipe
- 500 gms fish cleaned
- 1 tsp red chili powder / lal mirch powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder / haldi powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 4 tbsp coconut oil / nariyal ka tel
- few sprigs of curry leaves
- Mix the red chili powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, cumin powder, black pepper powder and salt with a tsp of coconut oil to make a batter.
- Coat the fish with this masala and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes for marination.
Making Kerala Fish Fry
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Next, add the curry leaves and place the marinated fish.
- Cover the pan with a lid and fry till it turns brown on one side. Next, flip over the other side and fry till brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon.
- Your delicious Kerala Fish Fry recipe - Meen Varathathu recipe is ready to serve hot with rice and gravy.
- You can make this fish fry with any variety of fish.
- Clean the fish thoroughly and apply turmeric powder and salt. Set aside for some time for an enhanced taste.
- You can skip the marination if you are short on time.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in February of 2016. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New images, Step by Step Photos and Video has been added in December 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.