Kadai Paneer Recipe with step by step photo and video instructions is a simple and very yummy dish. It is so simple to make that it will soon become your favorite. I simply can’t get enough of the paneer in any form. Be it paneer tikka, paneer butter masala, chilli paneer or paneer roll, it’s hard to live without paneer for a long time.
With simple spices, the kadai paneer gravy recipe is surely an awesome way to treat yourself when you are craving paneer. The aroma that emanates from the roasted spices is beyond words. It fills your home with an amazing smell.
What is Kadai Paneer Recipe?
Kadai Paneer recipe is nothing but a paneer dish that is made in a kadai The spices are first dry roasted and cooled. They are then ground into paste along with ginger, garlic and tomato. This paste is added to the fried onion before adding the paneer cubes to make a deliciously good dish.
What is a Kadai?
Kadai is a deep, circular pan similar to the wok. This is a pretty famous cookware in Asian cooking. The kadai is made of all types of materials. It is made of non-stick, aluminum, cast-iron, anodized or clay pot. In this recipe, I have made the dish in clay kadai as that is my favorite way to cook food.
What is Kadai Masala?
The kadai masala is the masala prepared for making the recipe. The spices are dry roasted til a nice aroma emanates from them. Then they are cooled and made into fine powder. You can store this kadai masala for months in an air tight container.
Is paneer good for health?
Paneer is very good for health. Full of proteins, this can be a great substitute to meat. The paneer is especially good for muscle building. You can check out how to make paneer at home in this methi paneer recipe.
Do you fry paneer before cooking?
Some recipes call for lightly frying the paneer before adding them to the dish. But in this kadai paneer recipe, we do not fry them and directly add them to the prepared masala.
Pro Tips / Important Things to remember while making the kadai paneer recipe
Step by Step Pictorial of the making the Kadai Paneer Recipe
- First, start with taking all the whole spices in a kadai. Dry roast them on low flame till a nice aroma emanates from the spices. Allow these roasted spices to cool down completely.
2. Take the cooled spices in a mixie jar and add the ginger, garlic and tomato to it.
3. Make a fine paste with them. Set aside this masala. If you want to store the kadai masala, you can omit the ginger, garlic, tomato and dry grind the spices to make a fine powder. Store this powder in an air tight container.
4. Heat oil in a kadai and add the chopped onions. Fry till the onion turns golden brown in color.
5. Add the ground paste to the browned onion.
6. Next, throw in the green chili, salt and red chili powder. Fry well till the raw smell vanishes from the paste. You can also add green capsicum at this stage.
7. Add the paneer cubes along with coriander leaves. Mix gently. You can add in water at this point if you would like a more gravy kind of kadai paneer.
8. Cook until the paneer is done and the oil starts separating from the masala. Serve hot with roti or tice.
Serve this kadai paneer recipe hot.
More paneer recipes:
Learn How to Make Kadai Paneer Recipe
Kadai Paneer Recipe
- 250 gms paneer / indian cottage cheese cubes
Kadai Masala Powder
- 2-3 no. cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2-3 no. cardamom
- 1 no. small stick cinnamon
- 2-3 no dry whole red chili
For making Kadai Masala paste
- 6-7 cloves garlic
- 1 small pieces ginger
- 2 no. tomato
Other Ingredients for the kadai paneer gravy recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 no. onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 green chili slit lengthwise
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- Dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon, dry red chili, cloves, cardamom till a nice aroma emanates from them.
- Allow the spices to cool and add them to a mixie jar. Add the ginger, garlic and tomato and make a paste with it. Set aside this kadai masala.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion till golden brown.
- Add the ground spice paste, red chilli powder, green chili and salt. Cook for 2 minutes or till the raw smell from the paste has vanishes. Add the paneer cubes.
- Add water if necessary. Cook covered till oil starts separating from the masala. Serve hot with rice or roti.
- You can add in green capsicum too in this recipe. Add them along with the spice paste.
- Add water if necessary. If you need a thinner version of this recipe for serving with rice, add more water before adding the paneer.
- For serving with roti, this variation without water should be fine.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in September of 2015. Step by step photos and video have been added for better understanding. The recipe has been made printable in November 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.