Jeera Rice Recipe with step by step photos and video instructions is a flavorful and easy rice recipe that gets prepared in no time at all. One of the most popular recipes, like the Peas Pulao, from the Indian subcontinent, you will find this being made in every home.
What is jeera rice?
Jeera Rice recipe is nothing but plain rice tempered with cumin seeds or jeera as they are known. Jeera pulao recipe goes well with any dish and every side dish that one can make. Instead of having the plain steamed rice, you can easily flavor the rice by giving the jeera tempering. It totally elevates the taste to another level.
What are the ingredients required to make the Indian cumin rice?
Firstly, we will heat ghee and then add cumin seeds. If you do not have or do not prefer ghee, then you can also make this dish with oil. Once the cumin seeds turn golden brown, we will add the chopped green chili, whole spices, salt, and soaked basmati rice. Add water and cook until it is done.
How long does it take to cook the Jeera Rice recipe?
The jeera rice recipe hardly takes 20 minutes to cook from start to finish. (If you ignore the soaking time for rice). Very simple and easy to put together, this jeera pulao is just so quick to make.
Which rice is best for making the Jeera rice?
Making with basmati rice will yield best results. But you can also make them with normal rice or jeerakasala rice.
What is the ratio for water and rice in making the Jeera Pulao?
If you are using the basmati rice, then for every 1 cup of rice, add 2 cups of water. The ratio of water to rice will vary according to your preferred choice of rice. So it is always a good idea to use less water, and later add if required.
How to cook the jeera rice recipe in a pressure cooker?
The process of making this recipe in a pressure cooker is same as the stove top. Take a pressure cooker and heat the ghee in it. Follow the same procedure as below recipe. After adding the water and rice, close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles. Allow the steam to cool on it’s own. Once it cools down, open the lid and fluff with a fork.
How to make the Indian Cumin rice in a rice cooker?
Making the jeera pulao recipe in a rice cooker is also the same. All you have to do is fry the ingredients in a pan and transfer to the rice cooker. Cook as per the normal procedure of the rice cooker.
What are some other variations of making the Jeera Pulao recipe?
- You can also fry the onions along with jeera or add the fried onions along with rice.
- Garam masala powder can be added instead of the whole spices too.
- Coriander leaves and mint leaves can be added before closing the lid for enhanced flavor and aroma.
Pro Tips / Important Points to remember while making the jeera rice
Step By Step Pictorial Process of making the jeera rice or jeera pulao recipe
1. Take a wide enough pan to cook the rice. Heat the pan and add the ghee. Allow the ghee to melt. You can also substitute ghee with oil but the taste will not be the same as ghee.
2. Next, add the cumin seeds and fry till they turn golden brown in color.
3. Add the chopped green chili, whole spices like bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, shahi jeera etc. You can also add nutmeg and star anise.
4. Fry lightly and add the salt. Next, add the soaked basmati rice and mix gently. The rice will turn little opaque in color.
5. Add water and mix gently. For every 1 cup of rice, add 2 cups of water. The quantity of water will depend upon the quality of rice used. I have used the India Gate Classic basmati rice, and for that, this ratio is perfect.
6. Bring it to a boil and cook until all the water is almost dried up from it. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Switch off the heat, allow to rest for 5 more minutes. Open the lid and fluff with a fork to keep the rice separated. Serve hot immediately.
Serve the jeera pulao hot.
You can serve the jeera rice recipe with dal tadka and with papad. You can also serve with some non-vegetarian recipes like achar gosht, chicken korma, mutton korma, chicken masala or any other recipe.
More similar recipes:
Let’s learn how to make the jeera rice recipe
Jeera Rice Recipe
- 2 cup basmati rice soaked in 30 minutes
- 2 tsp ghee or oil
- 2 tsp jeera cumin seeds
- whole spices cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom
- 3-4 no. green chili chopped
- salt to taste
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the jeera/cumin seeds turn golden brown, add the garam masala, green chili, salt and give it a stir.
- Add the rice and mix gently. When the rice turns opaque, add the water. For every 1 cup of rice, add 2 cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil and cook until water dries up. Cook covered on simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Switch off the heat, and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Open the lid and fluff with a fork. Serve hot.
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in September of 2015. It has been retested and updated with reader feedback. New images, Step by Step Photos and Video has been added in December 2018.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.