Javvarisi Payasam, Sabudana Kheer, Sago Kheer is a type of milk pudding made with the use of sago seeds. The small white pearls cooked with milk and sugar to make a delicious dessert perfect for any occasion just like sheer khurma.
Javvarisi means the sago seeds in Tamil and Payasam is a kind of milk pudding. The Javvarisi Payasam / Sabudana Kheer / Sago Kheer recipe is a pretty famous dessert from Tamil Nadu.
You will get this served at almost all homes in Chennai as dessert. Some people of Tamil Nadu even add some vermicelli to it and make a two in one kheer of sorts.
How to make
You can make this javvarisi payasam with both small or big sago. Though I have noticed that the smaller ones tend to dissolve in the milk. So for best results you can try the bigger sago.
Things to remember while making the javvarisi payasam
- Soak the sago in water for some time and then remove the sago from water and let it sit for some more time. And then cook in milk.
- Bring the milk to a boil before adding the soaked sago.
- Drain the water completely from sago.
- Add the sugar only after switching off the heat.
- Mixing condensed milk just before adding sugar will elevate the taste to another level.
How to serve
- You can either serve the javvarisi payasam hot or chilled. It tastes best when served chilled.
- Add in any dried fruit or nuts. You can even fry the nuts lightly in ghee before adding to the payasam.
- Even small coconut pieces could be added to the payasam.
Step by step pictorial of making the sabudana kheer
- Rinse the sago seeds couple of times lightly. Soak in water for half an hour. Then drain the water completely and allow it to sit for 20 more minutes before cooking.
- Bring the milk to a boil and add the soaked sago pearls.
- Cook till the sago pearls turn completely transparent. Remember to keep stirring prevent burning the bottom.
- Turn off the heat and add sugar. Stir well to completely dissolve the sugar.
- Serve hot or chilled with dried fruits or nuts of your choice.
Let’s get started with the Javvarisi Payasam / Sabudana Kheer / Sago Kheer recipe
Javvarisi Payasam, Sabudana Kheer, Sago Payasam recipe
Watch the Video
What You Need:
- 1 cup sago pearls
- 1 liter milk
- 1 cup sugar, more or less according to your sweetness preference
- dry fruits or nuts of your choice, chopped
How To Make:
- Rinse the sago pearls with water a couple of times. Soak them in 2 cups of water for half an hour.
- After half an hour, drain the water and allow it to sit for another 20 minutes. This helps to moisturize the sago pearls thoroughly.
- In a pan, bring the milk to a boil. Add the soaked sago gently while stirring with a spoon.
- Continue cooking the milk on a simmer while stirring occasionally.
- When the sago is cooked, they will become transparent. Switch off the flame at that point and add sugar.
- Stir till the sugar is dissolved. Serve warm or chilled garnished with dry fruits
- Soak the sago pearls in sufficient water. This will help the sago to cook faster and thoroughly.
- You can adjust the amount of sugar according to your preference. You can also substitute it with other natural sugars.
- Garnish with dried fruits or nuts of your choice. You can also add coconut pieces to it.
- Adding condensed milk just before adding the sugar will elevate the taste to another level.
Nutrition Value: (estimates)
Signing off until next time,
This recipe was originally published in May 2016. New Image, Step by step photos and video have been added. The recipe has been made printable in October 2018. No changes have been made to the recipe though.
If you see any inappropriate ads on my blog, please use the report button at the bottom of the ad or send me the url to email@example.com.
DID YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE?
Please leave your comment below and give a star rating.
Snap a picture and send it to our Facebook page.